Lingering Breast feeding guilt...

My daughter as breast fed until she was about 9-10 months old. I was supplementing some with formula while I worked and pumped. It eventually got to where the pump got nothing out but I still did it. At my daughters 9 month appt she had not gained any weight for 3 months and was failure to thrive. I was told to give formula AFTER each breastfeeding but I chose to stop breast feeding at all. Was it a bad choice. I still feel bad. what would you have done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Pat yourself on the back for being the best mom you can be. You made the decision that was right for you. Let it go and know you did your best. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Your daughter got 9 months of breast milk and that was amazing! Your daughter is happy, healthy and thriving now right? Whether you continued to supplement breastmilk or just went over to formula, all that matters is that she is loved. I think we put too much emphasis and guilt on how we feed our kids, when what really matters is that they are fed and that they are loved and well taken care of. Sure, breastmilk offers lots of wonderful things and when possible should always be the 1st choice, but plenty of children grow up healthy and happy on formula.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If your daughters health was at risk, you did the right thing!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My milk didn't come in till 5 days after my son was born, so he was on formula...we were twitching him over slowly, and he wasn't a screamer the first 5 days, but after we started switching him over he would scream and scream and scream...well, about a week later, my son's father and i went out to eat and i had a beer, so i threw away all the milk the next day, and he was back on formula, and he didn't scream at all...we tried again to switch him over, and he screamed, so we went back to formula, i'd rather have a happy child....i wouldn't feel guilty if i were you...
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I know it is hard..but try not to dwell on the past. You did what you thought was right at the time. Guilt is a horrible thing and us mothers seem to feel it for everry little thing we do - I know I do - but we shouldn't put ourselves down for our decisions - we make the best decisions we can at the time...

Try to just move past it and stay in the present.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with Elizabr,

you did a great job breastfeeding for all those months. :)

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010