Has the White House really asked Democrats to repeal a part of ObamaCare? What do you think?

Facing a backlash from small businesses over a new tax-reporting requirement in the healthcare law the president signed in March, the Obama administration is embracing the first change to the landmark legislation.

In a letter to Senate leaders, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner urged the Senate to back a proposal to scale back the new reporting mandate.

The law requires businesses to report to the Internal Revenue Service transactions worth more than $600, a provision that was added to the law to raise an estimated $17 billion over a decade and offset the cost of expanding coverage to millions of uninsured Americans.

The small item garnered little attention when it was inserted into the gargantuan legislation.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Article from LA TIMES

Isn't this something Small Business has been discussing for MONTHS now? Didn't Republicans ask to repeal this portion? Didn't Democrats in Congress essentially poo-poo the impact to small businesses?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• But like one of the major speakers for the liberal party says~ They had to pass ObamaCare to see what was in it.....

Are you really OK with this style of running our nation?
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL! I have been howling about this for months! Sending out the 1099's alone would cost my business an extra $2000-$3000 dollars a year. Then I would have the added time/bookkeeping/paperwork of dealing with all the 1099's we receive. The CBO estimated it would cost 3 times as much to meet the new requirement as what would actually be earned from it.

Republicans have been asking for this for quite some time now.

If Obama support/get this repealed I will be able to say he did something right!! :)

...I'm kinda scared to see what's still in there.....it's sort of like being 5 years old and KNOWING there is a monster in the closet..you just don't know if he is going to eat you or scare you to death!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I know yourspecial... But you know, you are the liar, not them... snicker snicker... j/k ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I hadn't heard about this, it would be a good start if it is true!

And, what are they talking about, "garnered little attention"????????? I think most people who even tried to find out what was in that monstrosity found this little gem, and screamed about it then!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm not okay with our government (no matter what party is in control) governing this way. I just can't seem to figure it all out. I am splitting my opinion between the fact that they either don't want to raise attention to some of the worse parts of the bill, if they are just saving face weeks away from mid-terms and removing any big material from opposing campaign strategists, or if they honestly just don't think it's beneficial to have it in the bill. I'm leaning on one of the first two options. Politicians are slimy (pretty much all of them) and you can't trust them as far as you can throw them. It's sad that I so don't trust them that even something like this will raise my red flags.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Are you really OK with this style of running our nation?

***************

It's been run like this for over 20 years, so it seems that most people are satisfied with the political ping pong we play in this country.
    NonnasMomma

Answer by NonnasMomma at 6:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• As with everything Obama and the Democrats in Congress say...I'll believe it when it is written/rewritten, passes the Senate and Obama signs it into law. Until then, it's likely just worthless mid-term talking points to get votes!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• been run like this for over 20 years, so it seems that most people are satisfied with the political ping pong we play in this country.

I guess with low exceptions like yours, what could possibly go wrong... ;o)

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I guess with low exceptions like yours, what could possibly go wrong... ;o)

***************

Hmmm, maybe I missed it, but where did I say I think like that?
    NonnasMomma

Answer by NonnasMomma at 7:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010