Becoming a Phlebotomist?

I jsut started going back to college, ive got about 2 years done from before, and am hoping to applky for the Nursing program in about a year... until them I was thinking about taking a phlebotomy class at a local place, its just a couple week course and then I could work as a phlebotomist until I finish school... Has anyone else done this, what's the pay like? Is it really that easy to become one that you can after a few week class?

23wkrmommy

Asked by 23wkrmommy at 4:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I went to school for that but, it is hard to find a job that doesn't want at least 1 yr experience and the pay is about 12-13 dollars per hour depending on where you live.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm a medical lab technologist, MT(bs level). I started with a certificated program called CLA they no longer have and worked my way through college. Taking blood was part of my job when I was a CLA and MLT but not so much as a MT. One of my sons has worked as a phleb whille going through MLT school. He met his SO who was working as a phleb. She is working part time and is almost done with her RN. I have another son that is a RN. In Tucson my son made about $12 an hour working midnight shift at a huge hospital. Before that he made $10 an hour in IN working days at an out patient lab that also had a mobile bloodmobile. For most jobs it's a lot of walking. It's great if you are thinking about being a RN. If you are going through a program you need to ask about job placement. They may be training more people then there are jobs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I went to school for medical assisting which was only a 9 month course and included Phlebotomy. Yes it is that easy to become a phlebotomist and the pay is pretty good especially if you can get into a hospital lab. A girl I went to school with is now making over $26 an hour after taking only a 9 month course. However where you live can have alot to fo with your pay.
    Tonynmandy

Answer by Tonynmandy at 5:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010