How was your spiritual path started?

WAs it the direct result of someone "Witnessing" to you about your particular path? Did someone else have any bearing on your current spiritual path, aside from your god/s/goddesses, AND yourself? Who do you attribute to your believing what you do?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I've just always been an atheist, even before I had any idea what it was called. I was raised in a Christian family and as early as I can remember, all the stuff they were trying to teach in Sunday school sounded completely implausible.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• How was your spiritual path started?
    It was predestined; for as long as I can remember I identified God as my eternal Father.

Was it the direct result of someone "Witnessing" to you about your particular path?
    No. Witnesses have both challenged and encouraged my faith, but none of them are responsible for it.

Did someone else have any bearing on your current spiritual path, aside from your god/s/goddesses, AND yourself?
    You mean have I been influenced by particular people? Yes! Many. Paul, John, Justyn Martyr, Augustine,Martin Luther, John Calvin, Jonathen Edwards, JC Ryle, Charles Spurgeon, RC Sproul, John Piper, John MacArthur, Ravi Zacharius, Carolyn Mahaney, Elizabeth Elliot, and others.

Who do you attribute to your believing what you do?
    The Holy Spirit
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No one influenced me, good or bad. I have just always liked learning about religions, one day I came across the religion I now follow and was like that makes perfect sense!! It wasn't trying to make myself believe it was true, like I was doing in the religion I grew up in, it actually made sense, so I began learning more and began to practice. No one influenced me at all. I still appreciate the religion I grew up in though, I still find good things there too.

Paix

Answer by Paix at 4:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• "I've just always been an atheist, even before I had any idea what it was called. I was raised in a Christian family and as early as I can remember, all the stuff they were trying to teach in Sunday school sounded completely implausible."

This pretty much describes me too.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My spiritual path wouldn't have begun if my dad's path hadn't have been changed so I'll tell his story. He was raised Catholic. He was the oldest grandson so he was "groomed" to become a Priest. But he rebelled in HS and joined JROTC and then rebelled again and went to college on a ROTC scholarship, joined the military, and served in the Air Force for 20 years. When he was stationed at SAC AFB in Bellevue, NE there was a man in his building that left tracts in the bathroom every chance he got. My dad felt it was his "mission" to dispose of those salvation tracts, but he read every one. Then this guy started a Bible study during break time and his first topic was "The faliciies of the Catholic church". My dad decided that he probably knew more about the Catholic church and her beliefs than most people in the world, so he joined the discussion. He ended up getting saved, my mom got saved months later, (cont)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• (cont) and I was raised in a Christian home. So yes, my spiritual path was directly influenced by a Christian doing what the Lord commands and spread the gospel. I don't know his name, I'm sure my dad would know, but I'm eternally grateful to him that he didn't live a "lifestyle testimony" but actually stepped out and witnessed and spread the gospel.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 5:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Then how do you know what you believe is truly your own spiritual path, if it wasn't of your own doing?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• devil

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

[8] For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, [9] not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
    (Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV)

Faith in the one true God is never by our own doing.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• "Faith in the one true God is never by our own doing. "

Well it shouldn't be done by the works of another individual as well...it should only be done by your god, no? as your scripture says: And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, [9] not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
    Why would someone take it upon themselves to be boastful enough to "witness" to another, in hopes of them becoming believers, when it says it is a gift of GOD....not Joe Shmoe.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010