at what age adult content

at what age should i teach and allow my son to wipe himself after he goes to the bathroom. I just tell him to call me when he is done. save the trouble of having to clean up a mess if he tries it himself. He is three. plus really I dont even know where to begin on teachin him.

Sky_Mom

Asked by Sky_Mom at 4:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Use the flushable wet wipes. I purchased the flushable wipes and taught my children to wipe the front first and then the back. they love the wet wipes. Once you observe them getting better at it, you will know when they are ready.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I started once my son was potty trained. He was 2.5. By age 3, he could wipe on his own. He went to Pre-school knowing how to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• wet wipes are amazing and start by telling him to call for you but let him try to do it himself first
    lolo0636

Answer by lolo0636 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• NOW. He can do it. It will be a messy start, and he will miss some, but let him try. Then, you check after and have him clean up what he misses. It's super gross, but necessary. Plus, the sooner you start, the sooner he'll get the hang of it. If he's already going on the toilet, this is the next step. You don't want to be in there when he's 5 and he can't wipe his own butt.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I dont remeber the exact age I stopped my son from doing the same thing....Just make sure its done before he goes to school or it may become a problem.(I think I may have stopped it at like 3 1/2 or closer to 4, cause he didnt potty train till 3)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2 and I have him "blot" himself with a couple pieces of toilet paper after he pees, but I still help him after a bowel movement.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it right now. Both of my kids were potty trained before the age of 3 and it took them a few months to actually start wiping themselves. Just keep reminding him everytime he goes to potty that he needs to wipe. Eventually, he will start.
    Mommy_In_Love

Answer by Mommy_In_Love at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Honestly, my dd is 3 and her arms aren't quite long enough to reach back there and wipe well. My ds is 5 and he still struggles sometimes but can manage for the most part. Not sure when he started being able to do it though, I forget! Maybe have him try and see if he's able to reach back there. The thing w/ 3 yo's is they may not be very consistent so you may still want to check!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Now. Let him do what he can after you or your DH shows him. Check and make and further wipes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My daughter has been doing it since she has been potty trained, she does it and if she needs help she will call us.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010