• In the Spotlight:

what should the babys lasty name be?

I am only 16 years old and i am having a baby my boyfriend is 20
Me and my boyfriend have been fighting over the fact that i want the baby to have my last name. Just becuase of the fact that we are not married and i am under age. and so on.
he doesnt afree with me.
i was wondering if you guys could help me out here. or if you agree with my boyfriend

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Baby Names

• I think the baby should have the fathers last name. He's in the picture he wants to be involved. The baby should have his last name.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My saying was "If I don't have your last name, neither will our baby."
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You are not married so the baby's last name should be yours.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Make it your last name. My brother got his gf pregnant when she was under age and she named her son her last name. He's a deadbeat so I'm sure she's glad she did.
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• as long as you put his name on the birth certificate his last name can be changed later should you marry.
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 4:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think that is something you and your boyfriend have to decide together. Is he going to stick around? Pay child support? Have visitation? If he is going to split or doesn't want to be a part of the childs life then give the baby your last name. If he is going to be an active father for his child, then I think (in my opinion) that the child should take his last name.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was 17 when i got pregnant with my first....this was my logic...I gave my son his fathers name, we were trying to make it work but not really together. I figured that If I gave him my name one day I would want to get married and change my name to my husbands and then my son wouldnt have the same name as either parent. and it was possible that his father and I might work it out in which case would would have been well....but we didnt my son has his fathers name and I have my husband's....I get called by my exs name alot by schools and things but they are very nice about correcting themselves. This isn't about pride it's about your child.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He's the father, the baby should have his last name.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 4:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If he is going to stick around, the baby should have his last name
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think you should hyphenate it IF he plans on sticking around otherwise just yours. Also if you get married then you can later change it.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010