How reliable is exclusive breastfeeding as birth control?

Did you get pregnant while breastfeeding? Did you avoid pregnancy with only breastfeeding as birth control? Have you ever TTC while breastfeeding? How did that go?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's about 98% through the first 6 months as long as you don't have your cycle back and baby is nursing at least every 3 hours. Everyone is different, though. I haven't used BC since my first was conceived and it took a year of TTC and finally full weaning to conceive again... and now we're 18 months in again without ever using BC and I just had my first PP cycle. We figure it'll happen when it happens this time around.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Like the other ladies have said, it is NOT smart AT ALL to use it as BC. I got preggo while BF haha!
    treaH

Answer by treaH at 4:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not reliable. Actually not to smart to trust at all. Maybe even irresponsible.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You CAN get pregnant while breastfeeding. Some women do not get their period while nursing so they assume they aren't releasing an egg.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Breastfeeding is NOT a BC. It's a myth that you dont get pregnant while breastfeeding.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My question for those who say it isn't... do you consider the pill to be reliable? What about condoms? Those both have failure rates as well. Just because something isn't 100% (and nothing IS 100% except abstinence), doesn't mean it's completely ineffective.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not a reliable method of birth control!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not a realible birth control at all!
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It CAN be a form of birth control, but you need to know "the rules" and limitations. I successfully used it as BC. if you can answer yes to the following three questions, your risk of pregnancy is less than two percent.

1. Is your infant less than six months old?

2. Are you amenorrheic, that is, are your menstrual periods absent?

3. Is your baby breastfeeding around the clock without receiving other foods, beverages or pacifiers?

Good info at The Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM)

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I did get pregnant while breastfeeding but my son was over a year old and we were trying :)

Breastfeeding can be used as a form of birth control but there are some rules (it's called ecological breastfeeding, by the way). Here is a link describing the rules:

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/1421/43/

YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 4:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010