How can I get my toddler to go to sleep?

My 2-and-a-half year old son fights bedtime and screams for at least an hour. on and off, at bedtime. We have taken him to bed for several weeks since I was in the late stages of pregnancy and could not stay in his bed or on the floor for long. We have since had our second son, and some nights our oldest goes down fine, others he wakes up in a terror at night and we take him into our bed. What can we do? I can't stand to hear him cry like this.

NikkiPhoenix

Asked by NikkiPhoenix at 12:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you should talk to his doctor. Do you have a bedtime schedule. For instance a bath, a story, a drink of water, lights off, scratch his back for a few minutes, then sleep. I am sorry. Try reading the No Cry Sleep Solution or 90 minute sleep solution.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Do you have a regular bedtime routine that you meticulously follow every night. That seems to work on my 2 & 3 year olds.
    ~Get into PJs
    ~Brush teeth
    ~Sit in bed with 3 books.
    ~choose 1 to read
    ~leave the other books for the child to look at on thier own.
    ~Turn on little bedtime lamp & turn off overhead light.
    ~Say "goodnight" & "Ilove you"

This routine followed very meticulously has done very well. Of course some adjustmants need to be made at times but keeping with the routine can solve power struggle problems you may be unconciously dealing with. Let me know if this helps for you.
    HeatherGallegos

Answer by HeatherGallegos at 1:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2008