What do you do when your child acts out in public?

My DD (3 yo) threw her first temper tantrum today. I could not get her to leave the zoo with me and I had my baby in a carrier harness so I couldn't carry her to the car and she kept dragging her feet so I couldn't get her to walk. A nice man finally offered to carry her to the car for me so that was nice of him. What would you have done in my situation?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 5:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Walked away and said "Hope you have fun sleeping at the zoo! Hopefully the tigers dont get you."
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 5:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I tried that too, it didn't work.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That was very nice of him to do!!! you were lucky.... I'm pro spanking, but it can be a touchy subject in public, so i don't do it in a public situation...I would have probably done the same thing that you did..
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL i gotta say i love that answer!! AndysQueen i am so going to tell my son that when he throws a tantrum!!
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• throw her over my arm to get her up on my hip somehow and get out of there....then she would have been yelled at in the car and punished at home. I am so glad to hear that another human being helped you, you dont find that sort of thing alot where i live ( new jersey) people will just stare and walk away,
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I did spank her. I don't care if peiole see, i was in a difficult situation and she needed to be spanked.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Finkette I couldn't carry her, I had the baby in a harness. ANd I did punish her BIG TIME when we got home. SHe was in the corner a good long time and I took all of her privlages away. So hopefully she'll learn, but needless to say, I am not taking her anywhere for a while.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I generally try to leave, because I make it clear that we can go home if my daughter can't behave, but if it's not possible, I first try a distraction, like "ooh, look! Cows!" (or whatever--sometimes asking her a question works.) If a distraction doesn't work, I say something like, "I understand that you don't like that, but this is the way it's going to be." Then, if she persists, I ignore it. She has always stopped within the minute when I ignore it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When that happened to me I had the stranger who offered just hand her to me and I then had two children to carry to the car. One was kicking and screaming. It was tough, but I got through it. I would have been too fearful of letting the stranger carry her to the car. I'm glad it worked out for you. Hope you rewarded yourself with a cold drink or something when you got home! or maybe a long bath later.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I know how embarrasing it is when they start throwing fits like that. I carry my DS2 in a moby so if my DS1 is throwing a fit somewhere public and telling him that it's inappropriate doesn't work, then I'll give him a second warning ( I always get down on his level and look him in the eyes when I do this, then a swift pop on the behind, and if that doesn't work (this rarely ever happens) I scoop him up from around the waist carry him like a sack of potatoes tro the car and he gets a talking to and punished at home a second time. If I don't feel it's safe to carry him then I grab his arm right underneath his arm pit and make him walk to the car He's not so much walking as tripping along while he's screaming and trying to kick me but I figure it's safer then dropping both of the babies on the ground.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 5:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010