help

my younger sister wants me to take her kids peramently. I already have two of my own and i don't think I could afford four kids but if i don't take them they will go to a foster home. What do I do?....

trentrfan

Asked by trentrfan at 12:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• You can talk to the authorities about becoming the foster family for your sister's kids. That way, you can get the financial assistance other foster families get, as well as keeping the family together. Check with your local authorities (DA, County, etc) for programs available. Blessings!!! Your heart is obviously in the right place, I hope this works out for you and everyone involved.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Goodness, tough situation. I understand your concern. I assume there is no one else in the family that would be willing to take them? I don't have an answer. I'm sorry. All I know is that has to be a heart breaking decision to make either way. If you don't take them then it affects their lives even more, if you do take them then your family will be affected also.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• That's a tough call. It's also a legal nightmare. You have to decide what is best for the family you already have. Foster care is NOT the nightmare some folks want you to think it is. It's a shame your sister cant handle being an adult, or is to irresponsible to live up to what she got herself into. Do what is best for you and the kids you have now. Why should ALL of you suffer financially? dig deep in your own heart and you will know what to do.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yeah that really is a tough spot to be in. I myself have recently taken in my nephew's dd. She is only 22 months old. It isn't easy. You have to do what is right for you and your family. Me personally I'd take the children. But noone can decide that for you. Think about all sides: What would it be like to have 2 more kids? How would you feel about letting them go to foster care, and maybe up for adoption? How does your SO feel about it? Are you financially able to take care of them? Are there other family members who would be willing to help? Is your current home big enough? You may be able to get some assistance through the state for the children. It is a very difficult decision to make. Some people just can't do it. Would your sister eventually want them back? Is this a temporary thing? Just some question for you to think about, maybe to help you think this through.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2008