How to help my sons memory

He has low confidence in his memory. When I ask him what he did in school...he says I cant remember. (He is only in kindergarten, 5 years old, and says he enjoys it) I ask specific questions, "What did you have for lunch? What did you do when you got off the bus? What book did your teacher read?" Etc. I asked him to try and remember, and last night I got upset with him a little. I told him if he really can't remember he needs to see a doctor. (He hates the doctor, bc the last time he was there he got shots) I know he can remember, I think he is just being lazy. And I am sure me pressuring him last night didn't help. (Btw I apologized to him and explained why I got upset, and that I love him and am proud of him)

SarahNKnapp

Asked by SarahNKnapp at 5:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe playing the game memory might help. Or play a game in the car or on a walk of everything you see - have a conversation of what he and you see on the walk/drive. When you get home or after dinner or before bed talk about the walk & ask him what he saw.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We played the memory game. My son had to start telling me about something or somewhere just a little piece at a time untill I could guess what it was or where he was describing. Then I would tell him and he would have to guess. We have alot of fun doing this and laugh alot about our silly guesses.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 5:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Actually, at that age, a lot of children can't remember things like what they did at school or what they had for lunch. They will however remember something that was meaningful or exciting to them.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Memory games.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Really, he probably can't remember. So what to do? Give him time to get older.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010