Written by an ER Doctor

Pictured is a young physician by the name of Dr. Roger Starner Jones. His short... two-paragraph letter to the White House accurately puts the blame on a "Culture Crisis" instead of a "Health Care Crisis"..

It's worth a quick read:

Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• d, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
    ROGER STARNER JONES, MD
    If you agree...pass it on.See More
    By: Richard Meckstroth

I copied this but I like what it says so I just wanted to share.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Amen.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 5:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yeah.... every person who doesn't have good quality health care... even those with privately purcachased or employer provided.... is thug. *eye roll*
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i agree with it... and this is something I would repost on facebook lol
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 5:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self

Whether or not this letter is authenticate is one thing.  But it brings about a question....  The question is, do people see a growing "culture" of this and if so~ why is THIS mentality trend acceptable?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i completely agree if you can spend a bunch of money on what u look like why cant u get health insurance, but yet health insurance(HI) is quite costly, and if this lady was a possible, dealer or something other hidding her money from the government she couldnt purchace HI with out having to tell the government where she was getting the money
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The "I can do whatever I want" attitude is what bother me most as a health educator. People don't accept that their health decisions impact society and that society has a right to try and improve their decisions.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• banging head into wall

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I doubt this is real- unless this is one unethical MD- thinking things is one thing, discussing them amongst colleagues something different, but scribing a note to the POTUS and signing your professional name shows a lack of control and self discipline. The place to exercise your concerns is in the voting booth.

I do remember a question to this forum last week from a mom on Medicaid.  She and another poster felt they were entitled to that service because they preferred to be SAHMs (one worked PT but refused to increase her hours beyond the school day, because she thought kids in daycare were "a drain on society"). These people were both making good salaries but refused to use their own money to fund their healthy kids' medical needs. Have to wonder about the sense of entitlement that some feel-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Sisteract I have no idea if this letter is legit but I do like the contents of it. I think we do have an entitlement problem in society. Not everyone who gets assistance has this problem..im just saying this problem is BIG!
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010