How do you get your hands clean after dealing with jalapenos or other peppers?

I was making salsa today, and had gloves on when i was cutting up the peppers, but somehow it still got through them, and i touch my mouth, it was on fire!!! So i washed my hands 5 times!!!! and it was still there...so then i tried dipping them in milk...that's what my grandma said to try....THAT STILL DIDN'T WORK!!

What do you do?

BradensMom1026

Asked by BradensMom1026 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Stainless steel is supposed to work and that's why the faucet works. You can try a big serving spoon.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• try beer

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• would lemon juice work maybe?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i rub my hands on the water faucet. Something about the metal, it neutralizes the oils from the peppers. This also works for onions & getting the smell of them out of your skin.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Make a little mixture in the palm of your hand with dishsoap, baking soda and peroxide. It will get anything "oil based or stinky"off of your hands.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Vinegar
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• To stop the burning, vanilla ice cream or milk was suggested to me when I forgot to wear gloves doing the exact same thing two years ago. I wish I had known about the stainless steel. Worth a try!
    LouLou2005304

Answer by LouLou2005304 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I usually take sour cream or yogurt (which ever I have in the fridge) and spread it on my hands and then put another pair of gloves on to hold it there for awhile. You can also use this on your face or wherever else you may have touched.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010