My son is left handed, is it different trying to teach him how to write?

I am starting to teach my son to write his letters and I have noticed he is left handed. I am right handed so when I teach him to write his letters and numbers do you think he will get confused?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No..I am left handed and everyone that helped me was right handed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• no,its the same,just put your hand over his

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i know how you feel!! my oldest is right handed and i'm left handed.. its hard to teach her. he shouldn't get too confused..but idk...
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Get letters and numbers that he can trace. That way he does it on his own.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Nope. :) My son is left handed, too. We haven't started teaching him to write yet, but most of my neices and nephews are lefthanded, too. They've never had a problem.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• 3 of my 7 kids are left handed and I am right handed so I had the same problem. It takes a little more effort from you as you need to use your left hand but it's not that hard!! GL
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 5:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No big deal, I learned everything from right-handers. Once he starts writing on his own, he'll figure out whether he's a hooker (a lefty who hooks their wrist around to pull the pen, like me) or not.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Teach him to turn his paper slightly left (the opposite of what you do) and NOT to curl his hand over the top. Teach him the exact same way you hold your pencil. My husband is a lefty as is one of my sons. My husband has beautiful handwriting, as opposed to many lefties. His Mother taught him how to hold it and turn the paper so he didn't do the curl the hand totally over the top. It is uncomfortable and actually promotes carpal tunnel later.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My oldest daughter is left-handed and she learned just fine.
    My_4_cuties_08

Answer by My_4_cuties_08 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son is left handed and my mother is too, so I learned from a lefty and taught a lefty. When we do anything that needs to be learned by watching I always sit across from them, because then our right and left hands match, this is good for tying shoes,etc..For writing I sit to the right so our hands are next to each other and he can see what I'm doing. Also, when he gets to cursive writing his paper will slant the other way. I also taped a popcicle stick from the center of his hand to his wrist, so he would keep his hand straight and not start curling his wrist in that odd upside down position that some lefties do.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 5:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010