16 weeks pregnant help

my sister in law is 16 weeks pregnant with her first child. this is not however her first pregnancy. She has had 2 miscarriages. She went to the doctor today and they asked her if she felt the baby move. She said no not really and they said that was really bad but didnt send her for an ultrasound or check the fetal heart rate. I told her at 16 weeks its no uncommon to not feel the baby move yet to try and relax her. My brother wants to take her to the ER because they are very very worried now. What do you think they should do?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 5:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't feel my baby move until 19 weeks. I don't know why they didn't do the heartrate. I would call the doctor again tomorrow and ask if you can come in and get the heart rate checked. I fhtey say no ...change doctors.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The docs definitely shouldn't have worried her like that. It's not that easy to feel movement at 16 weeks! I didn't feel my first moving until after 20 weeks, and with my second, it was at about 18 weeks. I'd punch that doctor for stressing her out like that!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Find a new Dr

16 weeks is VERY early for a woman to feel a baby move, especially her first. And to have the DDr tell her that it was really bad and not check on ultrasound is WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

Find a NEW DR!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If they are worried then they should make sure everything is okay.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• if they're really concerned they should go to the hospital.. but like you said, its not uncommon!! some people don't start feeling the baby move for a while.. i think they baby is fine though...
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ditto- it's actually kind of uncommon to really feel the baby that early. Send her here http://www.webmd.com/baby/fetal-movement-feeling-baby-kick  I think both mine I couldn't really tell very well until 22 weeks or so.  There was a healthy heart beat though so no worries.

Sunshine_246

Answer by Sunshine_246 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i think they should find a new ob. first moves aren't commonly and easily recognized felt until after the 18th wk of pg. not only that, if they knew her history why stress her out? that seems rather detrimental to the baby. if they were truly concerned (and competent), they would have sent her for an ultrasound without sounding alarms for her.

as for what they should do right now, go to the er just for her peace of mind.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 5:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• This is not something to go to the ER for. She can call the doctor's office and explain she is upset and see if they will order an OP ultrasound at the hospital or a radiology place that might be open. It's only 2:25 in Tucson I don't know where you are. If not she can ask to be seen on Wed for the doctor to check for a heartbeat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• the doctor is an idiot. If you are concerned, then go for an ultrasound. I would not worry though.
    sammywantsababy

Answer by sammywantsababy at 5:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i say find a new dr
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010