What's a good amount?

My son't birthday is next month then soon after we have christmas. What's a good amount to spend on a 6 year old? I want to stick to a budget this year.

jolee0222

Asked by jolee0222 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think 50 is plenty (not including $$ spent for the party) - strictly gifts.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• This depends on your resources. But I would not go over $50. Any extra should be for savings for education.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my daughters is in january so i know the feeling.. we buy one big gift for christmas for both girls and then a few small gifts and a few outfits and for her bday we buy one gift between 100-200 depending on what she wants and we buy the cake and i buy ift bags for her class at school and for her cosins and it comes to 80-100 because i like to overdue it.. so budget for both girls on christmas is 600 and bday budgets are 200-300 for everything depending on the gift.. no more than one paycheck
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Since you'll be hitting after Christmas sales, you may be able to get a great gift at 70% off and do pretty well for under $50. There are especially good discounts on Christmas type lego, playdoh sets because they manufacture them specifically for Christmas and aren't part of regular stock.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 9:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We rarely spend more than $50 on a birthday- not including the money that we put into our son's college fund. I think it's hard for moms to remember, but the dollar amount you spend on your child is not an indicator of how much you love them.

Also remember that friends and family members will probably be getting him something too. Plus Christmas is right around the corner.

When I go birthday shopping for my son, I try to think, "Do I really want to have another toy for him to get out and for me to pick up later." Then again you're son is 6 so maybe you're not picking up after him anymore. =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• be thankful it's not 3 days before christmas that he has to share with a cousin born on the same day.. lol.
    That's my situation, although the he is a she. lol. and it looks like her sister will be born on or around her bday as well. lol.

I typically spend 75 on her bday and 100 on christmas.. and then make it up around easter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Wow please excuse my spelling errors.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2010