Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Am I still a good mom if I serve frozen dinners twice a week? ;-)

My DH and I both work full time, and with 2 LOs, sometimes it's hard to put together even a simple recipe from scratch. I definitely would rather put a warm dinner on my table than get drive thru or order pizza (though my DH and DS would be perfectly happy if I did!). I throw a frozen lasagna in the oven on the really crazy nights, but I feel like that's "cheating." How often do you think it's OK to serve frozen/prepared dinners? What do you stock in your freezer/pantry? Any recommendations for healthier frozen dinners?
Thanks! AL

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

Answers (14)
  • Atleast it's not everyday.
    GinNTonic

    Answer by GinNTonic at 5:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • You're kidding right? Frozen dinners may not be the absolute best you can feed your family, but come on... DO you know how many people feed their kids that stuff every night and don't work? I mean really. You're feeding your family and doing what is best for them... Of course that doesn't make you a bad mom...
    SabrinaMBowen

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • If we based the quality of our parenting on what we feed our families, then a LOT of us would be bad mothers. Stop fretting.
    thatgirl70

    Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • You're not a bad mom but it's not as healthy and you know that right? What I would do is on the weekend try and batch cook when dh is home to help watch the little ones then freeze stuff so you can just take it out before you go to work and it won't be so hard to throw a few things together at the end of the day. Good Luck
    Moms_Angels1960

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • It's less than ideal, but that's life. There's more to parenting than being a healthy cook. Why don't we all stop with this "am I a bad mom if..." crap? It's stupid, it's unproductive. If you need to serve frozen dinners a couple times a week in order to have some sanity in your life, then that's the way it is. No one's kid is going to turn into a mass murderer because they had frozen dinners twice a week.
    SWasson

    Answer by SWasson at 5:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • perfectly acceptable =)
    skittles1108

    Answer by skittles1108 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • We do what we gotta do. I keep a box of frozen veggie burgers, frozen veggies, and a couple of other things that are easy to put out on the table on crazy nights. There are also the occasional nights where they get PB& J and some carrots and yogurt for dinner b/c we don't have time for anything else. I think if 80% of what you eat is healthy and nutrient dense, then the other 20% is free to do what you want...even the occasional take out!!
    Mom_2_cuties

    Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 5:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • Are you kidding me? You are totally not a bad mom, I feed my kids some kind of frozen dinner twice a week , I don't work, but I do cook breakfast, lunch and dinner all the other days and to me I think I quite deserve that little break! Not to mention my culinary skills are BLAH! LOL and my kids are so thankful for frozen dinners! That does not make you a bad mom . My kids eat very healthy, don't feel guilty at all!
    LIFO

    Answer by LIFO at 7:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • Oh I forgot to mention, I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's, but I get their frozen Teriyaki chicken, their mini, chicken tacos...they esp. love those, I serve them with salad and fresh made guacamole. They also love the Orange chicken. Occasionally I get them Pizza and Lasagna....
    LIFO

    Answer by LIFO at 7:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • Do what you have to do to get your kids fed. I like to cook homemade, but I have plenty of convenience foods too for those nights when I don't feel like cooking. Last night my husband was sick so I threw some frozen nuggets into the fry daddy and baked some tater tots. That's not the norm, but it worked.
    Izsarejman

    Answer by Izsarejman at 8:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN