How do I convince my 8 & 5 year old boys to change their underpants every day?

Every laundry day, there are fewer and fewer boy underpants in the laundry basket and no amount of pleading, ordering or anything will convince these boys that it is in their best interests to change their underpants.
The 8 y/o is quite stubborn at times and is a Daddy's boy. The 5 y/o was conditioned by BM that everything, no matter how serious or irritating, is a joke and sooooo cute when it comes to him.

GypsyAnne

Asked by GypsyAnne at 5:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "convince", no.
    require, yes.
    no joking around. just require it. make a rule and enforce it.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• let me know- my 8 year old loves a certain pair of boxersa nd will wear them every day (he has even put them back on after the shower) unless I'm right there making sure he changes
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• "convince", no. require, yes. no joking around. just require it. make a rule and enforce it.

Yeah.. what she said.... there need to be consequences too, if they don't do this... it's basic hygiene!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 5:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I understand that, but it's real difficult when I try to enlist their dad to help enforce it (considering they got the same parts and all) he just grunts, "yeah, what she said." I'm tempted to try what my mother did with her SS when he wouldn't change his underpants. She threw them all in the burning barrel and made him go without... but that's kinda yucky, so I am at a loss.
    GypsyAnne

Comment by GypsyAnne (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Why not just take their dirty clothes while they are in the bath? Or are they not bathing either ? (ick.) By any chance are they just going commando? Is their underwear getting too small and not comfortable? My kid never says "hey these are getting tight" I wil just happen to notice marks where they are didding in an know its time to toss the old ones and restock with bigger ones.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Convince??!!! LOL. That means you ask? Sorry I TOLD my kids to change their underwear. They took a shower everyday, they changed their underwear daily. What you do is stand their and watch them change them. If you have to, check to see if they did.

Answer by louise2 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We buy them fresh underpants every 6 months... these kids are rough on clothes, even underpants, so they always fit.

They bathe, I snag their dirty underpants and put them in the clothes hamper and when they get out of the bath, they wrap a towel around themselves and, instead of getting in their drawer for fresh underpants, they'll run to the hamper and grab a dirty pair!
    GypsyAnne

Comment by GypsyAnne (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When it comes to matters of hygiene I always make sure to explain to my son that he would HATE for his friends, classmates, teachers to say that he was a "stinky boy" and laugh at him.

I would also explain to them how pee and poo get on the underwear and makes them stink.

Also, require a bath everyday....take the dirty cloths while they are in the shower or bath and put them in the laundry. Lay out clean ones.

About dh....we would have issues!! To say the least!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• After reading your last post gypsy...it seems as if you have no control over these boys. INCLUDING THE FATHER!!!

TAKE YOUR CONTROL BACK!!

Dont ask tell, dont wish, make it happen!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• What are you doing while they are grabbing their old shorts out of the hamper? If you are standing in front of it, reminding them to get new undies, I think they'll have no choice! I agree - you need to take control and stop acting as if they have power.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010