Good Sex Ed Book Recommendations

I need some for my boy. He's 11 and doesn't want to talk about it! I am very liberal and would like him to know what's going on with both boys and girls and to generally be able to counter the stupid that goes on among his friends!
I especially want to have a reference guide when the serious questions come up. I've let him know I'm there to talk, but he's pretty shy. And his Dad is totally freaked about talking about this stuff!

mellonhead

Asked by mellonhead at 5:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well, my question is why are you just starting this talk now? Either way, it is... So here are a few...

It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health
    "What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty
    American Medical Association Boy's Guide to Becoming a Teen

They are all on Amazon and all around $10 or so...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Whats Happening to my Body? The boys edition.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• www.amazon.com/Whats-Happening-Body-Book-Boys/dp/1557044430

here ya go!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was just about to ask this same question lol My son is 9 and is also extremly shy. Even though we have computer blocks on and monitor his access, we let him use youtube at times because he likes to look at the cheats for his video games. Well recently I saw him youtube "how to have sex" lol Lovely right. His dad talked to him but he wouldn't say anything and started to cry he was so embaressed.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have talked to him about sex a little before. He asked questions when he was younger. But as he got past about 8 or 9 he really didn't want to talk about it. He asked me what some words meant, so I explained as simply as possible.

I did get him What's Happening to Me for Boys the other day. We were going to buy some books for school and I said I wanted to get him a book to read in case he had any questions about sex. He said they already covered everything in 5th grade health class! I laughed. I told him that they did NOT cover everything!

I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations than what is in the conventional book store.
    mellonhead

Comment by mellonhead (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010