ideas on weaning.

my daughter is almost 2 and it is time to start the weaning process but i have no idea how. please help me. i am sad and worried about how this is going to happen but it needs to happen. she is very attached to me and nursing. is there any moms out there that can help me thru this? thank you.

Preggydyke

Asked by Preggydyke at 6:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why don't you let her self-wean?
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 6:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't know. I plan on self weaning...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You don't HAVE to start weaning. If you allow her to continue, she WILL eventually wean on her own. If you WANT to start the process, I recommend one of two methods.

1) Drop one nursing session per week until finished. Start with the least favored nursing time, and the favorite nursing time should be the last to go.

2) Don't offer, don't refuse. This might take a bit longer, or it might not. Don't offer to nurse. But when asked, allow it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Are you weaning because you want to or because you think you should? There is no reason to stop if both of you want to continue. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Sometimes at this age you just need to set some limits.

Don't offer, don't refuse is great advice. At this age, if you tell them no, they will often ask 10 times more just because they want the answer to be yes. They hate hearing no!

Distractions can help as well. Avoid places where you usually nurse, try and get her interested in something before you think she is going to ask, etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I wish I had the answer but my 2 year stopped on his own right before he was one...now my new baby (4 months old) is a great nurser and I am afraid I won't be able to keep up my milk supply!!! He can nurse upwards of 20 minutes and if I stop him he gets so mad!! I think sometimes he is just using me as a pacifier!! haha...but I don't mind I love the time with him...

If you don't have to stop then don't but the ladies up above me with their answers have great ideas! hope you find what you need!
    andee1216

Answer by andee1216 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010