Do you have any special Christmas traditions?

It seems most of our traditions involve food....Christmas Eve is always "Gram's Chicken Cassarole" and always Egg Cassarole for Christmas morning breakfast.

jillybean4

Asked by jillybean4 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Holidays

• Christmas Eve is "finger food buffet" - even DH and I get ridiculously excited about it, because it's just plain fun. We have this massive array of crackers, cheeses, meats, olives, pickles, candies, etc and open one present each.

Also on Christmas Eve, DH and I finish wrapping presents after the kids are in bed, while watching "It's A Wonderful Life". We watch it over and over until we fall asleep on the couch. :)

Christmas day we always have cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and usually leave the TNT "A Christmas Story" marathon on TV the entire day. DD#2 was born Dec 23, 2008, and the nurses thought I was crazy because I wanted the TV on playing the same movie for 24 hours straight! LOL they'd even try to turn it off when I was sleeping and I'd wake up and turn it right back on! :) I love our goofy traditions.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We go to church on Christmas Eve with my parents, and usually to a family member or friends house afterwards. We always stay at my parents' house on Christmas Eve, even though we only live 15 minutes away. It's just not the same waking up in the in the morning and driving over. Me and my brother (and now husband and son) always get up before my parents and open our stockings, then we wake up my parents for the presents, lol. My dad almost always fixes biscuits and gravy for breakfast. We eat Christmas lunch/dinner at about 1 pm, and spend the entire day lounging around with each other. I love Christmas!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Before Christmas we make a bunch of goodies and take them around to neighbors along with a few Christmas carols. Then on Christmas Eve we have my homemade chili (VERY spicy), and we have the missionaries over for dinner. We give them a mug, hot chocolate, and candy canes. Then we open up a gift apiece as a family and read the Christmas story. On Christmas morning we see what was left in the stockings and open the rest of the gifts. Then we enjoy a big breakfast and listen to Christmas music while dd plays.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I forgot to add, just like the other posters so far...we also open a gift each on Christmas Eve. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Something I forgot to add that we also do that's not food related....we always get new PJ's to unwrap on Christmas Eve....usually some type of theme....so we all match!!
    jillybean4

Comment by jillybean4 (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• On Yule I place a gift next to my dh and grandson's dinner plate...
    Christmas Eve we track Santa on Norad and our county does a
    "be on the look out" broadcast on the fire/police scanner....
    As a family we put out cookies and milk and carrots... but this yr
    I don't know what we will do... our grandson now knows who his Santa
    is and so this yr will start newer traditions for us...
    Christmas dinner is NEVER traditional... since we don't go anywhere that day
    we let our grandson pick what dinner will be and we enjoy a lazy family day that day...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I get the kids an ornament every yr that way when they move out they have decorations for their tree. I got the idea from My sis, Melanie because she did that w/ me.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• no
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2010