How much of a raise would you ask for

I posted this in a group also. But a month ago a co-worker got in a car accident and hasn't been able to work. It was decided she wouldn't be coming back. I having been carrying her work load plus mine for this past month and have been managing pretty well. I was thinking about asking for a raise instead of them hiring a replacement. I don't know if they will go for it but it would save them some money. How much of a raise would you ask for. I have never been in a situation like this before.

nurbabe82

Asked by nurbabe82 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd ask for $2.00/hour. That's reasonable.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm guessing that your place of employment is happy that they don't need to replace this person - if you've been carrying her load for a month, there's no reason for them to think this will not continue forever and no compelling reason to give you more money. If you have to work more hours, then I'd approach them based on the # of additional hours. If it's 4 hours O/T, that's 6 hours at time and a half, so that's a 15% raise. If they balk at that and you get benefits, remind them they don't have to pay benefits to the other person. BTW, make sure you can really do this forever, or it may come back to haunt you.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 9:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'd go with a 15-25 % raise.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You need to research similar postions in your area. http://www.salary.com/ would be a good place to start.

Do you keep an accomplishments file? Tracking what you accomplish provides you with necessary ammunition during review and raise times.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010