Finally got a job, but another frustration

I have a part time admin job. There is a young girl that sits next to me. I'm about twenty years older. We were talking a little shop talk about our past experiences. To my embarassment, she corrected me in some areas. All my life, and I didn't know the difference. I asked her where she got her experience. She said that she worked three years in accounting. She said that a woman she knew as a baby got her that job. Like most places, in order to get a job, you need to know someone from within.

My frustration, throughout my life, I had to fight for every job I had. Even then, my SO knew of jobs available but never told me. I go to his job parties and heard people say that they've known my SO for a long while, but never knew that he had a wife. His friends are the same way, they say that they love me (and see me struggle jobless), but never told me what they knew. Why was I so invisible throughout the years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• it's because we trust to much.. i am 50 and all my life I am a trusting person. What happens the people I trust always kick u in the teeth. and it's true u have to know someone now days to get a job or anything else u want. to bad for me I know no one. So i work my butt off to get hwat I have and it sounds like u do to..Yea for us we work and are proud of what we do and where we get..

Linda
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Is it that your SO is intensely private and professional or do you think it's something else. How are you treated? This is really a good question for your SO. For now, even though you're hurt, I don't think there's anything wrong with YOU. It's your SO that's missed the boat. Congrats on the new job and I love it that you're 20 yrs. older!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• wow...good question. maybe they felt you weren't qualified for the job/s. thats the only reason i could think of.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When I'm looking for a job, I put myself out there. I ask everyone I know if they know of any places that are hiring, or if they can put in a good word for me where they work...that's weird that your SO wouldn't tell you about a job opening if he knew you needed a job and were capable of performing the job...
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You have let your-self be known, just be strong, not rude. And most of all be friendly.

Show up at his work more often and take him to lunch of just to say hi.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It sounds like your husb is a proud man that doesnt want to discuss his personal, financial issues. Maybe he tought you'd take it as interference or not having faith in your own abilities to find a job on your own. He may also have feared that being married, working together and all that "together" time would harm your marriage. Be glad you finally found a job and that you have a husb & home to go home to! :) Congrats.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010