Help with our new dog?

We got a 9 month old beagle mix puppy on Saturday. but my dd (4) and I had a bridal shower to go to out of town. So just my hubby picked him up, hes has since taken care of him exclusively until today. He has been nothing but loving and friendly to everyone he has since met but especially protective of my hubby. Well today My dd saw him for the first time since we met him at the Foster home he was in. He didn't want anything to do with her and then when she went to sit on her daddys lap. He freaked out jumped into her face. Well we crated him and then tried to reintroduce him to her. He was alright with her for awhile. Well she went upstairs to take a nap and came back down stairs an hour later and he barked and jumped at her again but this time my hubby had him so he didn't get in her face. My Question is....Should be take him back to his Foster family (hes still on a trial run) Or Do you think hes going to warm up to her?

Nessasmomma

Asked by Nessasmomma at 6:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pets

• I ran out of room but Ladies I really need your help. I don't want my daughter to get hurt. But I also don't want to be one of those people that takes a dog back to the pound for no reason!! Thanks!!
    Nessasmomma

Comment by Nessasmomma (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• well if you took him back it would not be for no reason! my sister had a dog she got from pound and he actually liked her little girl however not my kids... same situation .....snapping at them. well she took him back! it would be your decision but i would take him back.. This should be a positive experience.... not torture with your daughter.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had a dog that bit my 4yr old nephew in the face. He had growled one time at a park when some kids came running up to pet him. I adore dogs, and always have, BUT my children come first. I will never take a chance again by having an aggresive dog around my kids, it's just not worth it. I have 2 golden retreivers now, and my kids love them to pieces.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You have a good reason to take him back. But if you dont want to you should look into Ceaser Milan material.
    mandarellee

Answer by mandarellee at 7:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Was he growling? did he actually snap at her? It could be out of excitement or it could be he is being possessive of your husband. It is hard to say without seeing it. BUt He is in a new place with new people and he needs time to adjust. What I would recommend you do before you make any rash decisions is have a behaviorist (not a dog trainer) come out to your house and evaluate him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Try this 1st and see if it helps. Make sure to take dominance over him if he reacts negatively. Growl/grunt at him loudly just like they do and it will put him in his place. He needs to see he will have to be submissive. He is young and just doesn't understand. Get a good book for dog training and problems. Have your daughter give him a treat when he gets them. It takes awhile, but with love and consistency he can be retrained. Good luck. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 7:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would give it a little more time and see if the dog would warm up to her. especially without your husband at home.
    asjones4

Answer by asjones4 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i wouldn't risk it. what if you daughter gets scarred from a bite to her face. she has to live with that for the rest of her life and you too. i wouldn't want that hanging over my head. it's one thing to work with a dog and retrain it but when the child is this small she really can't be held responsible for anything that this dog does. not to mention the liability you would have should this dog bite someone that comes into your home. at that age this dog shouldn't be doing anything like this. must of been abused. behavioral mental problems.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010