Any good ideas that we can offer my son's teacher to help him to behave better at school?

I feel confident that we are doing all we can here at home. We have set up a consistent consequence for bad behavior...the issue is his bad behavior happens at school, not here. And we still give him consequences when he misbehaves at school, but we have a meeting tomorrow with his teacher and I'm trying to come up with some ideas that might help him behave at school. His main issues are that he can't sit still and he talks constantly (mostly to himself) and this is, of course, disruptive in the classroom. I don't want him to be separated from the class constantly...anyone have any ideas we could give her? Thanks in advance!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hahaha! If you figure out the trick fill me in. We homeschool and my son is the same way. Of course, here, as long as he does his work, he can get away with it. However, it can drive me nuts! :) Good luck.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 6:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Have you ever tried sitting in class with him before, or "popping in" during the day?
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 6:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son had a small sticker chart. With a square for each hour. If he behaved at school the teacher gave him stickers through out the day. If he didn't behave, she would just leave the square empty, but at the end of the day she would write a comment on the card about the empty squares. He brought it home for us to sign each evening. He could see the chart, and it reminded him that if he filled it at the end of the day he would get a reward at home......if he filled each day, he would get a bigger reward at the end of the week. ( He didn't have to fill every square, we agreed on a number with the teacher, and set a new goal each week.

The rewards were things like picking his favorite meal for dinner, getting an hour with mom or dad, and since we allowed one hour a day of tv time and video game time, he might earn an extra hour of time that he could use then, or save for the weekend.

Larger rewards were going to the park, etc
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son's cousin is in first grade and his class gets red, yellow, and green cards at the end of the day, for their behavior. Not sure if there is a reward at school, but his mom told him if he gets so many green cards, he will get a video game at the end of the month. Green is god behavior, yellow is ok, and I would assume red is bad. Also, when I subbed, there was this boy in class who had issues and the teacher gave him these special cards for rewards and they were taken away if he was bad. The latter was only for the individual child, not the whole class. But, perhaps if the teacher involves the whole class, he may be more apt to want to behave better. I'm sure the teacher will have some good suggestions too, I think they are required to talk to the parents prior to doing anything. GL
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Perhaps you need to check with his Dr. to see if there are any underlying medical issues that may have an impact in his life.
    meayla

Answer by meayla at 7:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Rewards for being good?
    Have you talked to his Dr about this? He may have some answers
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm sure his teacher has some ideas, and the school has a procedure for kids who refuse to behave. Make sure he knows that it's his choice to have rewards or consequences. He chooses how to behave, so he chooses the result.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have the same problem, actually my son's class is mostly boys and they all get each other riled up. I have explained to the teacher my son is a follower he does whatever the others are doing. He does talk non stop at home and at school and he has poor attention span. I have A.D.D. and have thought about getting my son tested for ADHD. My husband feels nothing is wrong he see's our son as outgoing and it will take time for the kids to follow the teachers rules and routine and she needs to get used to having almost all boys in her room.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son had some of the same issues. The teacher that REALLY helped him get control of it without embarrassing or alienating him did a rubber band thing. Every morning she put ten rubberbands on her right wrist. If he was acting up, she would make eye contact with him and switch a rubber band to her other wrist. His goal was to make it to the end of the day without having her switch rubberbands. she would write the number in his agenda at the end of the day to let me know how many he had left. It worked VERY well. He also had rewards/consequences at home based on how he did each week.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it may take him some time to learn to follow the teachers rules and routine - the best thing you can do is to require good behavior at home and support the teacher's choices for discipline. He needs to learn that different situations in life require different behaviors - and compliance is not optional.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 9:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010