how often do children have the same allergies as parents? how early can a child get tested for allergies?

my husband is allergic to codine and im allergic to seafood... how worried should i be that our unborn daughter will be allergic to these?

pinkdena

Asked by pinkdena at 6:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Health

• I am allergic to sulfa drugs. My ex hubby is not allergic to any meds and our son is allergic to Amoxicillian, but can take sulfa.

My only seasonal allergy is to ragweed. My ex husband does not have seasonal allergies. Our son is allergic to pretty much any pollen and is on Zyrtec from March until November daily and occassionally throughout the summer, depending on rain fall and temperature.

I think it is one of those 'just depends' things.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am not sure about the facts so I can only speak for myself. I have three children and all of them have the same allergies I have and then some. The youngest age my children was tested was 2 years old. The did the skin test for environmental allergies and the blood test to test for food allergies.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Each child is their own. They may get the allergies you have or none. He/she may have other allergies that neither you nor your DH have. They can be tested pretty young, but they don't like you to introduce seafood till atleast a year, I think. I wouldn't worry about allergies right now.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010