Have you ever had surger when breastfeeding? PIOG

I have a 6 month old EBF baby and just found out today I am going to have 1/2 my thyroid taken out and my tonsils. If you have had surger when BFing where you able to feed baby right after surgery?? Thats what I am really worried about.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 7:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I friend of mine had knee surgery. They told her she coul feed right after surgery that the meds they were giving her could pass into the milk but not at high enough rates to harm the baby. She wasn't comfortable with that and chose to pump and dump until she was off the pain killers. Tonsils out as an adult is super painful.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I pumped and dumped after my gallbladder surgery for a day.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Depends on what kind of medicine they give you and how many and how many times per day you have to take. I would ask your doctor before the surgery.
    Alyssasmommy412

Answer by Alyssasmommy412 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010