my son is 6years old and he is very hard headed he wont listen to me and he lies alot a when i till him he is in trouble and go to his room he stump up the stairs and slam his door and kick and throw things what can i do about that.

cho2010colate

Asked by cho2010colate at 7:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take his toys and his other things from his room, and tell him when he can learn to respect me, then I will respect him enough to give them back.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Talk to him, time out, spank him..
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Does he get enough one on one time with you and DH plus praise and positive reinforcment when he does things right? He could be going for the negative attention if he is not getting enough positive attention. Plus he needs tons of hugs and kisses. Just a couple of ideas....GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Reward him for good behavior and give them a chore board where he can stay busy and do stuff to earn big rewards. If he acts up take things he really likes away for a period of time. Try hard to not show any temper back because they sometimes can mirror what they see. If you stay calm and just punish bad behavior and reward the good it can get better overtime.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He needs more consequences than going to his room. Find a "naughty zone" for him to sit in whenever he's misbehaved. If he gets out the timeout starts over. If he throws things, tell him you understand he's angry, but being destructive in unacceptable. Let him have a pillow to hit/kick/scream into when he's angry. For lying, he needs consequences too. Start taking away electronics, dessert & moving up bedtime in 15 min. increments. As with any child, it's important to "catch 'em being good!" Praise & a behavior chart works wonders. My daughter has had a behavior chart for almost 2 years now. She's doing wonderfully with it. And every 5 (good) weeks she earns a prize. We get to take a special trip to the store to pick out her prize (set a cost limit ) Stay firm & consistent. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Just start beating him with a wooden spoon. No no no totally kidding I too have a 6 year old daughter though and she has temper for days. What works the best with her is the corner. He will scream and cry and act like hes dying but the trick is to just ignore him and keep putting him back in the same spot. Honestly when my lil girl gets really crazy I will smack her on the thigh just once but hard enough to get my point across and she is devastated but is stops her bc she doesnt want another one. Good luck

lolo0636

Answer by lolo0636 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have a timer that I set in 5 minute increments where my daugther must stand in time out. If she so much as tries to walk away, I set the timer for an additional five minutes and put her back in time out. I dont reason with her. I simply tell her one time why she is being sent to time out and to go stand in the corner. When she is done, we sit down and talk to her our behavioral rules. I make sure she can tell me in her own words what she did wrong. We hug and she apologizes (most of the time). If she continues to act out I take away the TV, toys, snacks, out door activities.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When my daughter stomps, I make her walk the same path back and forth at least ten times. Door slamming; open and close the door ten times, softly. If she starts stomping or slamming again, she starts over. Take away favorite items, and time out. I have found that rewarding good behavior randomly encourages her to behave and often reminders to her to make the right decision about how she is going to react also seems to help.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Time outs. Taking things away. Be very strict.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Stop him from acting out...he's six...you are the adult and you have to let him know that his outburst will not be tolerated. He has to have consequences for his actions.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010