Do you support the idea of some private investments in Social Security?

The latest Pew Research/National Journal Congressional Connection poll, sponsored by SHRM, conducted September 9-12 among 1,001 adults, finds that 58% favor a proposal that would allow workers under age 55 to invest a portion of their Social Security taxes in personal retirement accounts that would rise and fall with the markets; 28% oppose this proposal

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, my husband and I have always supported this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I support this, In my mind that gives me and my family, people who work, a chance to have social security before it gets eaten up by people who milk the system., or by people who don't/haven't/won't put any money into it because they don't work or pay taxes. We also have 401 K and other private retirement plans as well for that same reason.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't like Social Security. I don't like the idea that I am forced to pay X amount of money each month into something I will probably never see in my lifetime. I don't like it being abused by people. HOWEVER, what would happen if we went to this system and had another 2008? Also, is this voluntary? Would it be mandatory that we put our money in these accounts which go into the stock market? Because, like Obamacare and social security, I do not like being forced to put my hard earned money into something that may or may not help me in the long run.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 7:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think they should give a whirl - I certainly like to control my own investments.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Oh, you mean like GW BUSH proposed five years ago, and was nearly crucified for even suggesting it?! Now that the social security till is about to run dry, suddenly it seems like a great idea?!

I would much rather have the money I've paid into the SS back, so I could invest it all by myself! But since that isn't an option, I would support the proper investment of social security funds so as to assure there IS a social security fund for those of us who have contributed to the system for some 30 years and younger generations!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

^^^^  Bingo  ^^^^

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yeah its a great idea because we didn't all just lose half of 401 k's when it crashed. It's not running dry. Invest it so Wall-street can figure at a way to steal it.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes ~ we've been saving on our own (the same amount the gubmint steals that we don't expect to ever get back plus a bit extra) but we aren't investing it anywhere. I'll be darned if I'll pay the taxes on it ~ again ~ later on. Whatever happens to be left will go to the kids and bypass the grim reap ... er ... Charon ... er ... Uncle Sam when we die.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, I do!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010