How do you deal with truly stubborn, unyielding inlaws?

I have an unbelievably difficult father-in-law, as well as two sisters-in-law who can be difficult as well. I'll be with them soon, and am dreading it. How does everyone else handle these things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• If they are difficult with you in regards to how you raise your kids, smile and tell them ALLOT has changed in child rearing since the time they were raising kids, and tell them that your baby's doctor see's nothing wrong with what you do, i.e. feed, diaper, nurse etc. etc. Or is it some other issue you have?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I highly recommend limiting time spent together. Have DH handle all difficult interactions. I refer to my DH ..I say.."I don't know..ask him!" It is his family, he really needs to set the boundries with them. Unfortunetly, family members seem to take liberties more than others...try to stay cool and walk away. If people see that they got on your nerves...usually they will do it again. good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i "kill with kindness" im nice, help full. and blah blah blah - & when i can't take it i'll go to the bathroom stick out my tongue, roll my eyes, and flip a few birds. then i go back out feeling refreshed and giggly cause i totally flipped them off and they have no idea.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 4:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I still think it's best to use the old child psychology rule (even with adults) of ignore bad behavior and praise good behavior. Hopefully your visit with them will be short and you have a room or space to go to if they get too difficult. If not, I would smile (they hate that when they are trying to manipulate and control you!) and say that I valued their opinion but they had their opportunity in (whatever the subject is) and that now it's your turn to live your life and make decisions that are right for you. Keep the smile for as long as you can just to get their goat! My momma used to say to never let them see they get to you. When you leave the room you can go scream in a pillow or something!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I'd just leave and get away from them! Who says you HAVE to be with them anyway? If hubby wants to visit his family, let him go alone! I told my inlaws to just go a little further south and they'd feel right at home, to leave me alone cause I could care less about any of them and their attitudes! Life is too short to waste on trash, even human trash!
    If they don't even TRY to get along with you, they're not worth the effort it takes for you to be nice!
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 7:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• well, if you are going to ride it out, when they start, just ask them, "do you ever listen to what you say? do you realize my kids are hearing you degrade me? do you think its endearing?" or something along those lines. call them on it.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2008