For those that believe in the Christian God... how?

I watched 102 Minutes That Changed America on 9/11 (it's a History Channel special) and ever since I watched that I have been plagued by how anyone could possibly believe in God after seeing something like that.

I know that some people see God in the tragedies in this world, but I guess my brain just doesn't function like that. I can't see how an all loving God could possibly allow so many needless deaths throughout the history of the world. I just don't get it...?

And I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic. (Meaning I believe that I don't know anything in regards to God's or Goddess's or any religion.)

NonnasMomma

Asked by NonnasMomma at 7:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'm not really sure about it either.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i am pagan and i really hate it when others bash religions grrr
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I didn't think I was bashing any religions? I'm just struggling to understand how anyone could believe after watching such horrific things happen...?
    NonnasMomma

Comment by NonnasMomma (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I understand why some people have trouble seeing God when something that bad happens, but there were also a lot of good people who responded heroically to the tragedy

The Reverend Calvin Butts, a Baptist Minister,  was quoted after 9/11 "The will of God is never seen in tragedies. The will of God is seen in our response to tragedy"

I don't pretend to understand why bad things happen, I have some beliefs as to why I think they do, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch when it happens. I do know that the worst and the best of mankind can be seen on that day.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• navywife: She wasn't bashing. She has a good point.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 7:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If God intervened (sp?) in our lives....for everything bad that happens to us we would never learn anything...and those that did it....would have their agency taken from them to make good or bad decisions. You cannot have the good without the bad.
    I agree that there are many times in history where tragedies have happened....on individual levels as well as mass levels, but we are to take these times, to grow, to learn and to move forward from.
    It's like a parent seeing a child making mistakes in their life....does the parent feel sad? yes. should they intervene? not always....they have to learn for themselves...make thier own mistakes.
    These people will be accountable, as we all are, for our actions.
    (These are my beliefs, leave them or take them....I just thought i'd give my thoughts!)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• God doesn't control our actions. He could control us all like puppets but instead He gave us all free will. Meaning that if you want to go out and murder that is your choice. And if you want to not believe in Him, that is your choice also. And no, I'm not saying that murder and pagan/agnostic/atheist/etc are the same thing! Just that we are free to choose our path in life. But for those of us who believe, He gives us the strength and guidance we need when tragedies occur.
    smileyashmommy

Answer by smileyashmommy at 8:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, I believe in God, but not necessarily the Christian God. That's a whole 'nother topic, but anyways, to answer your question...

I believe that God gives us free will. With that free will comes the risk of bad things happening. It wasn't God, in my opinion, who caused those deaths, it was those that took free will and turned it into a bad thing. This is such a common question in religion, as old as time. Why would God allow the bad things in the world to happen? Other than free will, it's a mystery. It's one of those things which is almost impossible to know. It's a very valid question, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• HOnestly I'll never understand it either. And it's moments like that that solidify even further my "non" belief in a god. Thats not a bash on anyone...just a way to illustrate how it makes no sense to me that there is a supposed supreme being around yet chooses to do nothing in times like that.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I understand some of the parent intervening with their children comments... but here's the thing - does God EVER intervene? You intervene when your child is young and I expect most parents would intervene no matter the age of their child if they were doing something that would kill them.

Yet... God? Where is he?
    NonnasMomma

Comment by NonnasMomma (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010