Dog having seizures

My lab is having seizures. The first was about a year ago, we decided then to just wait and see what happened. He didn't have another for about 8-9 months. He's only had about 4 to date, but 2 of them were today almost back to back and it was very scary to watch. I can't see him like that again and will be taking him to the vet. Anyone else have any experience with this? Is the medication expensive? I feel so sorry for him because he tries to get up and walk around while he's experiencing them and he's disoriented and he will fall over and if I don't hold him down i'm afraid he will hurt himself. Today he jumped up and took off running at the beginning of one and ran headfirst into the wall before I even knew what was going on!

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 7:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pets

• saddy yes we did. Years ago a dalmation that had Gran Mal (sp) seizures. He was on drugs that we had to get from the pharmacy, excitement seemed to trigger them. We had the dog put down after 2 years of trying everything the vets could think of. The last straw was one seizure that last about 2 hours.
    I wish you luck and hope you find a happy resolution for all.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have a 5 year old weiner dog that has been having seizures for 3 years. We had him to the vet and the put him on Phenobarbital and there was absolutely no change.

cdwilber

Answer by cdwilber at 9:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• yes Our dog had some as a pup and outgrew them for a while then had them again when we had a crazy cat tormenting her at night tried Phenobarbital on her (made her drip pee constantly) stopped that. Then a few years later she had them again they lasted about 5min each time she had them and she could not move for 2 hours after and lost stuff from every orifice. Good Luck
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 10:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Our dog, sh epassed away in June, had seizures for 9 years. She would have about 4 every month. Sometimes back to back. She was on Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide for about 6 years. The Phenobarbitol made her very weak, her back legs were so unstable we had to use a towel around her to get her up and down stairs. Took her off that and went to Gabapentin. We could go a month or two with no seizures, but that was the most control we ever got over them. Sadly, when she passed, it had nothing to do with the seizures. She ended up with Congestive Heart Failure, she lived with it for 10 months before we lost her.

Good luck to you.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010