How do you afford everything with 2 kids???

I just am curious how you guys work out your fiances with 2 kids...i am only working part time right now and my husband works full time...we have one little boy and are considering having another..we want to wait til our finances are better to have the second one..but i might be pregnant..i am just feeling the symptoms and i havent taken a test yet...it might just be stress but who knows..I was on birth control but it messed my body up really bad so i quit getting the shot..i am gonna be going back to get the pills..but i just want to know how everyone does it with 2 kids so i can get a better idea of how to do it if i am pregnant again???

JoshysMomma19

Asked by JoshysMomma19 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• We have four. We don't make a ton, but we figure it out just fine, because we will not fail!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We have 3 ,im a sahm& hubby wks full time , im planning on getting a part time job n he is looking for a higher paying job, but we cut some things like cable, we never watch tv,luckily my boys r 2yrs apart, i have saved most of my oldest jackets n jeans, we dnt go out to eat 3xaweek like we used to, idk u just find ways
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I get the weekend paper and clip the coupons. You can match them up with your sales flyers yourself, or use grocerygame.com. Grocery game does have a small fee, but I find that they find more deals then me, so it pays for it's self. Plus it is free for the first 4 weeks, so you can try it out. I tend to save about 50% off of my groceries every week between sales, store deals, and coupons. I also go to retailmenot.com before buying anything online because they list coupon codes for websites. I buy everything I can from Overstock.com. I get my printer ink way cheaper there. They have great gifts, and shipping is always under $3. Also, find any outlet malls near you. My outlet mall has a Children's Place outlet and I get clothing for $1 a piece. We also are just VERY picky about what we spend money on and very rarely go out or order in for dinner. Maybe once or twice a month. of course, buying food at work is also a big money pit
    JessieAtHome

Answer by JessieAtHome at 8:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• 1) Put away 6 months expenses in a emergency fund. Most families are ok day to day, but as soon as there is an unplanned emergency get in financial trouble they can't dig out of (car breaks down, fridge goes on the blink).

2) Do not buy prepared foods, the more prepared they are the more expensive. Some people say buy in bulk - but I find that the super sales at Kroger for chicken / beef, et al are cheaper than every day prices at Costco. I use Costco for the 20 pound bags of Basmati rice.

3) Once you know you're pregnant, then try to plan 6 months of their clothing while it's out of season - it's no deal if they've grown out of it, so I wouldn't plan any more than that.

4) If you can, have a small side business - maybe special catering or selling lunches at your workplace. Then you can legally write off many expenses that you would incur anyways - if you're delivering lunches to work, deduct milage.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 8:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I work from home so i have the best of both worlds
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• A few years ago my SO and I were going through a rough patch. We had to cut out a lot of things such as cable, internet, no washing machine (went to someone else's house twice a week to wash), hung the clothes out to dry to save on electricity, no eating out, move into a smaller place, no new clothes/shoes for us only for our dd, etc. After a year of living like this we had saved so much money and we both got good jobs, bought a new car, finally moved into a great place, and had our 2nd baby girl. There are so many ways to save; you just have to be willing to give up some luxuries.
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 10:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Learn to live within your means. Cut corners anywhere you can. A lot of mom's provided great answers as is, so I wont reiterate what has already been stated.

socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My DH works full time, and I work from home. I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 18 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 11:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The truth is you can't afford everything on any income regardless of the number of kids you have. You and your husband- together, sit down and decide what you're going to s pend your money on. Maybe they can't go to such and such camp, but they will be able to take soccer. Or vice versa. You guys together decide what you will have and what you won't have.

And like socialworker227 said, just live within your means. You really can't afford debt on any income level.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I work online for extra income. It's not going to make me a millionare, but it helps me with bills and paying off debt. Extra Income Online is my list of legit sites

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2010