A check up on volunteerism?

PBO made a big deal about volunteerism during his campaign and in the early part of his time in office. I was just wondering how many of the CM's here have started to volunteer and if so, what made you choose your cause?
*I am not including volunteer hours that were already dedicated before Obama's call to volunteerism.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 8:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am very active in the Liberty Group since PBO took office...............does that count? I am on the executive board, and our group does everything on a volunteer basis.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i have to voulenteer now that my son is in school but that is more of an obligation and nothing to do with president obama
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Nope, I give to my animal charities as always but I have started no new volunteering.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I actually volunteered more before I had kids. I am a full-time student now with two small children, so I am not able to volunteer at this time. I will start again when things settle down in my life, but PBO has nothing to do with it. I find his smugness to be insulting. I'd like to know how many hours he has spent serving food to the homeless people in a soup kitchen or doing retreats with inmates in a Federal prison.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was already volunteering before PBO talked about it.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 8:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Who is PBO??

I have volunteered to help run a week long camping program for 90 boys every summer for 20+ years, and I will continue to do so.... not b/c of any politician, but b/c it makes me feel good and I know those boys appreciate it. I also volunteer to sit on the board of directors for a Summer Camp, and have just started volunteering at my DD's school. I don't do any of these because I have to or b/c of any politician!! I do them b/c it's just the right thing to do!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No new volunteering...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am still doing the same volunteering I have always done, the only difference is I am teaching a different grade of religious education this year...and it has gotten more challenging where my time is concerned.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't listen to him (or any politician) talk, so it would be difficult for him to sway me one way or the other. We only have one car right now, so there's not much I can do.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have not volunteered anywhere for the last year. I have a list of places that I have researched but every place wants a scheduled commitment. I live between 3 locations and work on call so a scheduled slot just does not work for me at this point in my life.

I have not been politically motivated to volunteer since HS-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010