Should We Tell Dillon's Bio. Parents

Dillon is adopted and we're wrestling with the whole "Should we tell your biological parents if they gave up the parental rights?" thing. I need advice!

CRSimpson

Asked by CRSimpson at 8:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Nope, they didn't want him and you DO. They didn't love him enough to even keep parental rights so I say screw it. YOU are his parents now, he doesn't need any others. My mom was adopted at 2years old, she kept in touch with one of her brothers. He tracked down their birth mom and wanted to meet her. My mom told him "I have my parents." He went to meet her anyways and she slammed the door in his face. Your kid doesn't need that, he only needs you.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• But they keep trying to get in touch with us and his older sister Melanie is talking to is.
    CRSimpson

Comment by CRSimpson (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Maybe his other parents gave him up because they couldn't take care of him. Not all people that give their children up for adoption don't do it because they don't want them. My best friend is adopted, and I know she would have been mad if her parents didn't tell her and her brother that they were. But, it's all up to you.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That is up to your boyfriend. It is his life, does he want to meet his bio parents? If they are trying to get in touch with him, then they must want to meet him. You can't always be as bitter as the PP. Yes, they placed him for adoption but, maybe that was the loving choice?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Dillon has met his bio. parents on several occasions.
    CRSimpson

Comment by CRSimpson (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They may just want to know how he is...Maybe meet with them in private to find out their intentions. Perhaps even with a lawyer or mediator if you feel it's Necessary
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i beleive that is totally up to you .i say pray about it
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, if he has met with them on several occasions then why all the secrets? They will find out about everything eventually, you may as well be upfront with them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I definitely think he has a right to know. It may be easy if you do it when he is young vs. older. When they are older it affects them so much more-be HONEST!!!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Children can NEVER have too many people who love them in their lives.

He needs to know who they are, and they deserve to know how he is.... they are his, and thus your, family.

He will always have two sets of parents... you need to honour that and realise that they are his parents too. They deserve to be a part of his life, he deserves that.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2010