anyone on here computer savy??

do you know why when i shut my computer down sometimes it doesn't turn off and you have to do it by pressing the power button? it just makes a loud sound like a fan running or when you put a cd-rom in and won't shut down buy itself. it's a 4yo gateway if that helps any lol

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• sounds like it's having problems shutting down a program, which is why it remains running..

check to see what your start up programs are, or what's constantly running, some of those programs are probably outdated and can be removed. (just be sure you know what you are removing BEFORE you remove it, it could be vital, lol).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When my computer did that it had a virus. Got it removed and it fixed it.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• hmm, i thought about that. but we have the trend anti-virus and i do sweeps with that all the time and it didn't help at all. i hope it's not that.... my hubby will find a way to blame me somehow lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When did it start? Have you tried a system restore and see if that helped anything? If something had just gone wrong with mine I can do that and it will fix it sometimes.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010