How to get rid of fleas once and for all??

I have 2 dogs and one cat... They have been treated twice and now on capstar for the next 2 weeks every other day... How do I keep the fleas from infesting my home and off my animals for good. They are miserable and so am I...

Anidawehiwahya

Asked by Anidawehiwahya at 8:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pets

• You can't ever get rid of fleas 'for good'. It doesn't matter what product you use, how often you treat your home/yard, or even whether you have pets or not. If you have fleas in the area where you live, they will be around.

It's sort of a never ending cycle, and if you have pets the best thing you can do is just treat regularly. We use Borax and natural products in the yard, the house, and on our pets (cats and dogs). I Borax the yard once a month (more if it rains), add garlic and brewers yeast to food, bathe when necessary, brush/comb every day, and vacuum a LOT. The fleas were miserable this year in SC, but my pets have been mostly flea free in spite of the large flea population. I usually use DE (diatamaceous earth sp?) but I'm out and haven't had time to go get another bag. If you get it, get the food grade stuff, not what they sell for swimming pools.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i treat my cat with advantage. those damn fleas love south georgia weather so it's not just the cat to blame! they most likely take a ride on my shoe as I get the mail. that easy to get infested! I have a bagless vacuum and fill it with about a teaspoon of borax and vacuum daily. I vacuum the areas where my cat hangs out most as well as under the furniture. I dont trust flea bombs.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• WHy are you using capstar? That is only good for 24 hours. If you want to get rid of them I would suggest picking one product like revolution, advantage( I think it works the best for fleas), comfortis or frontline. Keep it on them year round and then you won't have to deal with fleas. I have animals that are allergic to fleas so that is what I do even when it is cold enough that the fleas won't be around, or shouldn't be anyway.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They are also on advantage plus, but they cannot get their rabies and other vaccinations until their fleas are cleared up as they both have reallly bad reactions to it. They are both really bad and itchy. Have had two applications of the advantage plus, and the capstar is just for the 2 weeks for all 3 animals to help rid fleas, and the dogs on antihistimines and antibiotics. Cat was throwing up few times a day. Now she is on baby food sweet potatos too. She has not thrown up since, dogs are looking better and not itching. Hopefully when 2 weeks is up, they will be able to get their vaccinations. That's why I have to get rid of them.
    Anidawehiwahya

Comment by Anidawehiwahya (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• you can try to bomb your house, (obviously remove animals and kids and self while works and be sure to protect food)..

the medicine is probably working, but it's going to take time for those that were in the carpets, etc, to finally die.

otherwise keep up on their application of flea medicine, eventually the fleas won't bite and will die off.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• U can get bug bombs and put one in every room and set them off .. but u have to leave ur house for at least 4 or so hours and once u get home let it air out..
    Mommy_Bear823

Answer by Mommy_Bear823 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We used to have this problem growing up, honestly the best will cost some money. Take all 3 in for a flea dip while you set bombs off in the house. (Set up before you take them in for the dip, when the bombs are done you will need to vacumme, wipe down, open all windows, windex windows... ) After that you will need to maintain care on the animals, we like frontline, and spray the perimiter of the house once a month (while that drys no animals should be outside). You may also want to by new collars too.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have three dogs and three cats that share our home. I have used Frontline Plus for three years and have absolutely NO flea problem. I get my supply from www.totalpetsupply.com.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 5:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010