Does anyone have any MIL problems?

My MIL 'acts' really sweet on the surface, even emailing "forwards" about friendship and puppies and things. She talks about love and wanting to be close and missing her grandkids. But whenever she comes to visit (she's out of state) she ends up being catty and even saying rude things. It's like she lacks a censor. Last visit she was here for mydaughter's birth and the 2nd day in the hospital when my daughter was having problems, she took her and said, "Your mommy is going to starve you! Your mommy just doesn't have enough milk to feed you does she?!" This wasn't the first time she made rude comments about my breastfeeding, or rude comments in general. My husband always takes up for her, takes her side, or makes excuses for her. If you have had problems too, how did you handle them without making your DH angry at you or taking her side?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• OH I FEEL YA my MIL is a complete and utter bitch when my 1st son was born she told everyone that it was going to be a black baby (dh and i are white) so she was right there watching making sure he was white, she tried to get me to cheat on dh while he was in iraq, called DHS on me 3 times, 1st time, i was doing drugs in front of DS 2nd time i wouldnt let her see DS #2 when he was born, 3rd time DH and i seperated and still wouldnt let her see my boys all three times she accused me of locking my boys up not feeding, or bathing them ect, never have i done those things to my children and now she calls me lazy and worthless, i am a sahm but looking for a job she calls DH constintaly and doesnt ask about the kids but just tells him gossip that he doesnt like to hear, he tells her to stop putting me down but she doesnt listen to him its getting to the point that she will not be in our lives again, didnt even show up for ds b-day
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I plead the 5th.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I do not have MIL problems....I always say my husband has a problem with his mother! lol...my MIL is terrible
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Haha, you're not the only one. My MIL does the two faced thing too. Pretends to be all sweet where everyone can see it, and runs her mouth about me to her family, my husband, and even on occasion to my face.

She also has control issues. She calls my husband constantly to guilt him over this or that. We've finally said we've had it, so we'll see how it goes.. I'm not having anything to do with her right now.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My MIL was in and out of my dh's life when he was a child. She was not in our life until we got pregnant with our first child. Once my ds started showing signs of autism she backed off, stopped coming and calling as much. When I became pregnant with m 2nd she was really into us again for a while. Then when the baby was close to a year she became angry with us and really hasn't talked to us in almost a year. When she was in our life she hurled insults at my dh and me. She was rude, and always put us down for this or that (our wasn't big enough, our car wasn't grand enough). I feel guilty for saying it, but things are certainly more peaceful. But I hate that my children won't know her and my eldest wants to know why she doesn't love him. :o(
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010