Does anyone else have a child with sensory intergration disorder and how do you deal with it??

My two both have SID, and other various problems. Has anybody ever tried any good techniques to use for sensory intergration disorder.?

Anidawehiwahya

Asked by Anidawehiwahya at 8:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• There are occupational therapists that are trained specifically to treat sensory processing disorders. Depending on what type of sensory needs your child has and how they affect their lives would determine the treatment plan implemented. Not all OTs are qualified to work in depth with sensory processing disorders, so be sure to cofirm the therapist's qualifications before starting treatment. Properly treated, behaviors related to sensory processing disorders can be minimized or even eliminated.

If you don't have access to a qualified OT or just want to do things at home, then get the book The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing & Coping With Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz (http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/). The book will provide you with ideas & guidance on how to start your own treatment program at home.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We aren't sure yet. We have a 21 month old son who walks/runs on his toes, hand flaps, has lost words and has some problems with touch and textures. I have had problems with sensitivity to light and sound too. We are still unsure if he is on the Autism spectrum or if it is a type of Sensory Integration Disorder. I want to have him tested and evaluated but I'm afraid of having him labeled. It's an age right now that he might outgrow some of this two. He only says about 5 words now, but that could all change. I guess that's not really advice to you, but to say that you are not alone in your questions on how to deal with it! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• There are so many levels and types of SI disorders. My son had some and the occupational therapy worked wonders. He used to crash into people and walls and fall off chairs and fidget constantly. We had teachers tell us he had attention disorders and we needed to get him tested. The therapy helped his development a lot!
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 5:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Have you tried a therapist (like a physical)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My oldest ds is 9 and has SI. He still constantly walks on his tip toes. He did physical therapy about a year ago which didn't help at all. He will not ride a bike or do anything like riding rides, swimming, etc. Little things like cutting his nails, hair or cleaning his belly button can cause a major freak out. He fidgets with his fingers a lot. He has major anxiety issues and is extremley shy. When I talked to his ped a yr or so ago before we started pt for his toe walking i brought up maybe aspergers and he said that some people are a little quirky and if it's not greatly impacting his life there really wasn't a reason to put a label on him. But i'm starting to get more frustrated and I think i should make an appointment to have him evaluated...
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 6:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010