I just switched my 13 month old from soy formula to regular whole milk at the insistance of WIC. Now a few weeks later he has gone from a peaceful nap & sleeper, to screaming & thrashing. It seems like he'll only sleep for a few fitful minutes before lapsing into screeching & crying? Could the soy to milk switch be causing this?

He goes from being asleep for a minute to sitting up & screaming like hes being beaten on by some invisible force. He then has to be held & rocked (which he fights) for around half an hour before setteling enugh to be put down. You must continue to rock him after you put him down for another 10 minutes & then sit on the floor by his bed to wait for the next outburst.

HeatherGallegos

Asked by HeatherGallegos at 1:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try giving your baby soy milk and see if the symptoms go away.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• WOW.. im going threw the same thing!! my son does that to! but he is 8 months old and i dont have him on soy or nothing hes just been like that since birth! IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! i know what your going threw.. if you find a solution PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW!!!!! thanks sooo much and good luck with your little one :)
    stressedmommy88

Answer by stressedmommy88 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree, try soy milk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Usually the best troubleshooting method is to ask what changed, then eliminate that thing.

If you have concerns about soy, then water is fine for hydration. The foods you give cover the rest of the nutrition.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Go to your dr. and have him write a scrip for soy milk and take it to wic. Tell them that he is having a problem with the regular milk and needs to be on soy milk. With him being on soy formula from birth then to put him on regular milk its not gonna work. Put him on soy milk then slowly change him to regular milk. It maybe a year or so before you can change him to regular milk. Hope he gets better. Also Enfamil has a formula for children 9 months to 24 months that might also help.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 1:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I say try Soy Milk. It can get expensive, and then if your Dr. recommends it to WIC they will permenantly put him on Soy Milk for you! Good Luck and I hope he gets better soon!
    HeatherM0529

Answer by HeatherM0529 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Luckily I didn't have to go through this with my daughter but they could have an allergy/lactose intolerance to milk. I am lactose intolerant and allergic (I know I know they say you can't but I am) and I actually had to have soy formula instead of milk until I was 7 or 8 - they didn't have soy milk readily available then. I would def. try above - from going back to soy formula first to see if symptoms go away. Then swtich to soy milk and see if that works.

* my mom actually was the state program director for WIC she said to def. go see your pediatrician to get a milk allergy diagnosed. If they just lactose intolerant, they are going to want you to seek other methods out. If they are allergic, your pediatrician should def. write you a note/prescription. If the local nutrionist for your office gives you a tough time, my mom suggested calling your state office to get approval.
    terabithia24

Answer by terabithia24 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't give him soy!
    I would try something else...not with milk or hormone depeleting soy!
    Milk and/or soy intolerance is really difficult to find through tests...an elimination diet works. But I know you probably can't afford to try new stuff being on WIC and having to use what they give you. My son had serious trouble with every kind of formula, I didn't realize he couldn't digest milk, I wish I would've known. Soy is horrible even if you don't see it within a day or two, it slowly (months) causes damage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2009