What age do you think BiPolar is too early to be treated for??

10 yr old on depakote already along with adderal XR (low dose). Unfortunately, some think the 4yr old is going to be ADHD as well and have the same problems/ with anger issues. But how do you predict that in someone so young??

Anidawehiwahya

Asked by Anidawehiwahya at 8:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The only warning sign you can be aware of is to know that bipolar can be an inherited disorder and to watch for the warning signs. If they are showing symptoms maybe get them into a child psychologist or behavior therapy to be evaluated and take the steps to see if things can be controled by behavior modification and learning new ways of coping with things and you as a parent learning ways to deal with the behavior. In some situations medications may be the only option. But I would want to make sure in a child so young that all avenues have been explored before such powerful medications are being given. I myself am bipolar and am on no bipolar medications. There are other ways to handle things as another poster said. Good luck!!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 6:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was being treated for depression at 7. They put me on Prozac. Which did nothing. As it turned out they had me misdiagnosed, which happens a lot at that age, and I'm really BPD2. I would say opt out of medication as long as you possibly can. There are dietary and nutritional options which could do much more at that age and that won't cause harm - which the medication can do. Now, if they are at a point where they are hurting themselves or others, make sure they get medical help. But at 27, I'm completely med free and control my BPD mostly with diet, nutrition (which I'm still learning), meditation and simply learning how more about my condition. I would suggest that YOU read BiPolar Disorder for Dummies, it's been a blessing for me and my family and will help give you some control because you'll know more about what's going on.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I really don't think you can "predict". However, you can certainly keep your eyes open and keep informed. Good luck!!
    hope4emma

Answer by hope4emma at 8:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• ADHD can also be primarily controlled or at least treated by diet and nutrition, but it takes education on your part. I would say get a head start...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I dont think you can predict but maybe take them to the Dr. to be evaluated.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010