my little miss perfect sis-in-law is driving me NUTS!!!

My brother's wife is lucky enough to be a stay at home mom. She cooks dinner from scratch practically every night! She always drops in conversation what a great meal she made the other night, blah blah. She asks me what I made for dinner and when I say something like "I threw a frozen mac & cheese in the oven", she rolls her eyes and sometimes even gives me a lecture. I have to WORK to help put food on the table every night and sometimes I just have to grab something easy from the freezer. What should I say to her the next time she asks so she'll shut her trap and leave me alone? ;-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• say "well i know you're so good at making delicious meals..... why don't you come over and give me some cooking lessons?" and then let her come over and do all the work lmao....... i'm so evil. but seriously that would be a good way to get out of doing any work and i'm sure it would really annoy her afterwhile.....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Idk. I agree with her. You shouldnt feed your kids crap just because you have a job. My mom worked MORE than full time when I was little and always made good meals. She would get everything together in the morning so she could throw it in the oven when she got home. OR she would put it in the crock pot. That premade stuff is sooo bad for kids.
    Oh and I resent when working moms say I'm "lucky" to be a SAHM. No, I'm not LUCKY, I work damn hard to strecth a dollar and support my husband so that he can work effectively and I can continue to stay home. Its a choice and sacrifice.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Just smile sweetly and say, "you are so lucky to have so much time on your hands!" or if you don't want to be sweet, say "Somebody has way too much time on their hands!"

I'm a stay at home mom, and I hate it when people assume I have lots of time on my hands....but in this case...even I'd say it!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had the same issue only it was a 'friend'. I finally said "Well, when you work 60 hours a week, your house is clean, your kids all get to their games and practices on time and your husband is sexually satisfied THEN you can talk to mme about what gets put on the table at MY house" We weren't friends very long after that...but I realized she never really had been. It's harder with family. I'd probably be really sarcastic and roll my eyes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ask her for tips... Or let her know with all her free time maybe she could make you some fresh frozen meals ..its much better to make & freeze your own meals than do the store bought stuff- not judging i do it too.. and guess what.. im a sahm. in fact tonight we had PIZZA from papa johns!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

I agree with you!!! It is definately a choice and a sacrifice! I am willing to do without "such and such" so that I'm there to pick my kids up when they get out of school. THey walk into a clean house, to a snack (usually warm), and then we do their homework TOGETHER. I make a nice dinner and we eat as a family......I'm not lucky, my kids are!!!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 10:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I gotta agree with ma2b08 and timandmel - I work 20 hours a week and I still cook most of our meals from scratch and do ALL the housework, bills, all the SAHM stuff. And we work damn hard to be able to have a schedule where our son isn't in daycare, and I work damn hard to make sure we eat home cooked meals. It's a matter of priorities, and if you are feeding your kid instant meals all the time then you might want to re-think what's truly important. It's not about being "perfect" or never making a frozen dinner again. You can get a lot of food prep done after the kids are in bed, or on the weekend. With a little planning I bet you could do better. That being said, I think it's incredibly RUDE of your SIL to lecture you. I don't blame you for wanting to tell her to shove it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would be sarcastic and rude. Something on the lines of "Must be nice to be a perfect stay at home mom, but not all of us are lucky enough to be able to do so." or "not all of us want to be or can be suzy homemakers." You are working fulltime to help your family survive, don't worry about what your SIL says, as long as you are taking care of your family it is NOT her business.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Just because she stays at home and cooks from scratch doesn't mean that she knows it all. You work all day, and when you come home I know you don't feel like standing in the kitchen all night. Simply tell her that you don't have the time she has to make a dinner from scratch. You get your family fed and that is what matters.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree 110% with ma2b08...
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010