What advice can I give?

My little brother is 17 he will be 18 in october. His g/f just turned 16 and they are telling me they are getting married when he turns 18 b/c he is tired of all the drama with everyone. I have explained to him to please wait and to make sure this is for real. He has so much growing up to do and it breaks my heart I raised him like my own child from the time he was 7 til he was 14 and then I left him in the care of my grandmother who raised me he tells her he doesn't really want to get married but I don't know what else to tell him. Any suggestions

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell him that if it is real and true, this love he has, that it will withstand any obstacle and still be there down the road. Tell him that he is jeopardizing his girlfriend's future, that what she wants right now will most likely NOT be what she wants in 5-10 years... maybe not even in 1 year! I lived the decision they're making, except the man I married was 10 years older and should have known better. We stayed married for 7 years but I was unhappy most of it. What I could live with at 17 was not acceptable to me when I was 20, etc. What seems uncomplicated to them now will become complicated when they have children and it's no longer just their mistake... Unfortunately at his age there's probably nothing you can say to him to change his mind... teenagers=) Good luck
    Jesibekah

Answer by Jesibekah at 11:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm not sure what state you live in, but if she's 16, I would think she would have to have parental consent before marrying him. It sounds like he has in and out of people's homes so much that he wants to put it behind him and start his life without other adults around. Marriage is definitely not the answer to his problems, I think it goes much deeper than this. I think he needs some type of therapy. What does his girlfriends parents think about this?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010