How would you handle this?

Both my husband's parents live with us. Well my MIL will ask me to do something or I'll tell her i'll do something and then she goes and does it if I don't do in the time it would take her to do it. I have 3 kids that I try to make sure that they are not getting into everything and doing homework with 2 of them and keeping the little one away from the two older ones plus trying to cook supper and it just drives me crazy. For example she asked are you going to wash dishes or am I? I said yes i'll wash up dishes after i finish getting kids in bath and bed and then b/c i didn't do it right then and there she went and did them and then she asked me if i'm upset and i'm like yea i said i would do it and you didn't even give me the chance ...this is one example and I have come to the conclusion fine wash the dishes but there are lots of other thing she does ..sorry needed to vent please no bashing

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Tell her how you feel and be up front and honest with her and how this makes you feel. The worst that could happen is she will be a little disappointed in the fact that you haven't said something sooner. I wouldn't mind if my mother came and did my dishes here and there. but i see what your saying i do completely understand it's your house and you will do things on your time not hers.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i would be happy that she did it instead of me lol.......
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'd just let her do it! It sounds like you're busy anyways, so why not let her help out? If there's just something you'd really rather do yourself, explain that to her and tell her you will get to it when you have done these other things.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I appreciate her help it just makes me feel bad that I can't do things she asked me to like she acts like I never do anything she asks me
    sweet_mamaof3

Comment by sweet_mamaof3 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My daughter, sil and their 4 kids (1,2,4,5) live with me and hubby. I think I might have your mil's problem. I ask my d if she is going to do..., then if she doesn't get to it I figure it is more important that she is doing for the grands and I step in and do whatever it was myself unless it has to do directly with the kids.
    lee63

Answer by lee63 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• well my MIL is not a patient person. if she asks you to do something and you dont' do it when she asks you then she will do it like the dishes thing she will start washing dishes usually before i'm even done and then she complains that she didn't get to clean up everyone's plate I'm like I wasn't even done.
    sweet_mamaof3

Comment by sweet_mamaof3 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010