Non - Home schooler's just don't get it

anyone else feel this way?
I home school my son and daughter

We start "school" at 8:30a and we are done by 1pm. that's 5.5 hours, we have so we also have breaks 15min in between subjects plus 30min after 2 hours, so we are learning a total of 4.5 hours. I also give independent work due by dinner time, so they have to make their own time to do it, and do it with no help, and they also have sports all year round.

I think the HS moms know it doesn't take 7 hours of school to teach a single or 2 children, we don't have to stop and deal with 25 kids, make an hour lunch, do games to pass time, we learn the entire 3.5 hours and get to a lot. sheeesh, if I put them in regular school they'd be farrr ahead, plus If my business allows me to stay home most of the day I don't need daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in

• I get it. I can certainly see the advantages to homeschooling, but I know I'm not patient enough to teach my own children and their school time is a much-needed break for me. So anyone who homeschools - more power to you!! I'm jealous!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, that is one point of view.

And I'm sure that other people have their own views about that.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• And I'm not referring to Cafemom mom for the most part, it's the stuck up parents who have their kids on the soccer team I coach, ugh games started again so now I have to hear their snide remarks.
    "Tom actually goes to school so this game won't work for us." " The soccer uniforms are too expensive, we already pay blah blah blah on private school tuition and now this?!"
    and all the other wise remarks, ggrrrrr
    I'm ready to just ban them from sitting any where near me during games so I don't hear all of the snickering
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• oops I do 4.5 hours...lol
    @layh1407 I wasn't rude just stating my day, and how I don't need to do 7 hours of home school, or put my children in private or public school
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Is there a question here or just a rant?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I send my child to school because I am not a teacher. I am not qualified to teach them to the standard of the State. I also feel that the social skills they get at school are very important in learning how to deal with people. yes, your kids "socialize" on the soccer team, but that is not the same as learning how to deal with sitting next to that kid you hate for 9mths of the year. Learning how to see the best in people. When you only "socialize" for 1-2hours a week at soccer - and really you are not socializing as you are concentrating on playing a game and not just hanging out with friends - then you lose the opportunity to build interpersonal skills.

I also feel that you learn so much from classroom debate with people that have different opinions. When you are home schooled - you are only exposed to Mom's opinion and no-one elses.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• whew, I feel for you being the coach. You're going to get picked apart no matter what by parents, especially if you do one little thing that rubs them the wrong way, it's part of the lifestyle, just let them know if they would like to try and get 10+ kids physically ready for a game then they can try until then, you're coach and snide remarks about how you parent aren't going to change that.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Sabrina Bowmen, did you not read it? It's the 1st line below what is in bold.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I see your point but I also know a few HS parents that do not do anything educational with their children and their children are behind in social skills as well as speech. SO I say to each their own I would rather my kids go to school then be home schooled and I could HS them if I wanted to.
    lolo0636

Answer by lolo0636 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• @Maureen-MD
    Yes I get it, I am qualified to teach, I got my credentials a couple years before I started homeschooling. Plus soccer is not 1-2 hours a week it's a total 9-12 weekly hours, competitive teams, not rec. Plus that is not all we do for socializing, there are home school groups where I live that meet every week day and we go a couple times a week.

And we travel, sorry I didn't think I needed to make the laundry list of activities we do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010