Beauty Pagents for little girls..

My daughter is 7 and really wants to be in one(Her friend does it-I hate them) I said okay, I would let her do one with her friend but I said no make up only lip gloss and she couldn't dye her hair and she flipped out an said I was mean and that she would loose if she did do every thing. Should I let her? her friends mom said she could loan her a dress and do her hair and make up. I just don't know I don't want to start it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Find natural pageants. I won't let my daughter do those glitz and glamour, but to each their own. My daughter has been in 2 and both both of them. Like princessbeth said, if you are entering her in a glitz pageant and she won't be wearing make up then she doesn't stand a chance.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 9:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i wouldn't let her dye her hair either..... she could just wear a wig. most of them do anyway. is she doing a natural pagent? because if she's trying to do a glitz pagent without make-up then she doesn't have a prayer of winning and you'd be wasting your money entering her. if she is doing a natural pagent then they don't do a lot of makeup and she should be ok
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You granted permission and told her the rules that apply for your family. She "flipped out" and behaved bratty. And you're still asking if you should let her?
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• no i wouldnt do that, stick by what u said, if she were to win at least she knows natural beauty is the best if she loses at least u can tell her she didnt have to look fake in the process sorry sounds kinda rude, not trying to sound that way
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If that's what she wants I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. The ONLY time I see an issue with these things is when the parents are forcing their kids to compete or getting them surgery or something... But makeup, a wig, hair dye... It's not going to be there forever... And pageants DO teach good things - poise, posture, competition, self pride & trust, as well as other things - if it makes her feel good, I don't see any reason to stop her. I wouldn't stop my child.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• She wants to compete. I want her to be happy. I want her to feel confident. I guess if it's just one night make up is okay.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm sorry, she asked - you gave her your rules - she flips out - now you want to bend the rules with a "maybe this one time" -- are you nuts! I understand that she wants to be like her friend and that's ok, but like other replies, if it's a natural pagent, then she should be fine the way she is. And going along with 'navywife...' I don't think her comment is rude at all. If she wins, she wins because she is beautiful just the way she is and didn't have to look like somebody else. Seriously, have you seen some of those Miss America and others without all that makeup --- most are better without all that stuff than they are with it.
    MsIrene05

Answer by MsIrene05 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Go with your gut feeling. If you waver ask yourself, is this the life I want for my daughter, does it instill the same value and morals that you have as a family, is it teaching her a lesson in her young life of any kind that might be negative, are the people that she will be associating with the type that you want your daughter around. A child at this age is very vulnerable and learns by example. Is this the example of a positive nature or negative?
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 10:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010