Does your 'entire' family still sit at the table for meals??

My thirteen year old grandson lives with me (so that ages me right there), and we have all of our meals at the table. He recently had a friend over for dinner and he was so surprised that we did. I told him, that this is time we have to discuss our days and be together before he's off to finish homework or get to his video games. His reply was that they don't do that at all at home.

Just wondering . . . . .

MsIrene05

Asked by MsIrene05 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. My husband and I make a point to sit at the table and eat every night together. Now that we have a baby, the baby is at the table too. (And our dogs under it!) I grew up in a house where we all ate our meals wherever we wanted, when we wanted. I was so annoyed when my mom remarried when I was 14 and my stepdad wanted us to eat together. I learned quickly to cherish dinner time. My husband and I have made it routine, and I think its wonderful for our relationship. He works a lot and goes to school, so dinner together is important.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Growing up my family always had dinner together, whether it be at 5pm or 10pm, we ate together. My daughter is only 5 so we don't have a crazy schedule quite yet, but DH, DD, and I all eat together every night and plan to continue that. I think it's a great time to "regroup" with everyone!
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My boys are 18, 21 & 28. The younger two still live at home, and YES we still eat at the table together every night. Of course they are adults, and if they aren't having dinner at home it may only by my husband and I...and maybe one of the boys, but anyone who is home for dinner, sits at the table.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, but since my husband's death my "entire family" is just my daughter and me.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Absolutely! Too bad for that kid that his family does not.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• at my house we do, but it's rarely the 'entire' family because usually my husband is still at work. but whoever is home has to eat at the table. once in a blue moon i will let the boys eat lunch by the computer (if they're watching video or movie), but never dinner. i was raised having dinner together as a family and it was so good to talk to each other and talk about our days, joke around, etc. i want to give that to my kids too. it's family bonding time
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• well we dont eat at the table but we do eat together, i need a table first mine broke, then we will go to the table
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My husband usually does not get home until 7:30-8:00, so it's usually just my 2 boys and I at the table.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When we are all home and all eating - yes. But if someone isn't eating we don't make them sit with the family... Many times I'm to nauseous to eat after cooking to eat, so I go lay down, but when I'm able to eat, I join them. Or if my DH isn't eating - cause he just doesn't eat much - he won't come to the table. But yeah, when we are all eating the meal, we do it together...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We do as often as possible. Loss of the family dinner table has made a huge impact on families, values and being connected. IMO. My grandkids (raised by us) are 6 and 7, they need to be finished with dinner by six or they are literally finishing dinner, getting cleaned up and then to bed. My husband is often not home until 6:30. In the summer we have family dinners every single day. As they get older and bedtimes get later it will help.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010