Every night for the past 2 weeks...

....my son throws the absolute worst fits when its bed time. I have tried rocking him, singing to him, rubbing his back, talking to him, yelling (not good I know, but i was at my wits end one night) and nothing seems to be working. I have to end up letting him cry for 10 to 15 min before he will go to sleep. He is sleepy, but not overly exhausted so i don't know whats going on. Any ideas? He used to go to bed so easily and now I don't know whats gotten in to him lately? Makes me feel like a bad momma. :( He is almost 21 months old

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like some terrible 2s, do what you can, sometimes punishment includes a raised voice. Let him cry it out and take it one night at a time.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 9:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• the terrible twos are coming, that's all lol. just be consistant and put him to bed the same way you usually do. he'll cry for 10 or 15 min. and go to sleep right? so let him do that for a little while and then he'll find a different way to put himself to sleep. he won't be crying like that forever.... trust me i've been there with each of my kids and it always was just a phase. the key is to stay consistant with whatever routine you have in place and that will help him get through it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I've been there (yelling, too!). Never wanted to tie my kid down so badly! But seriously, sometimes, I've just had to hold him while he kicked and yelled and cried and all I could do was shush him and rock him (like you're doing). This will pass. The joys of phases.
    Maybe it's time to try adding something new to your bedtime routine? What do you guys do? Read, brush teeth, bath, massage? You can even try sitting with him in a dimmed room, and going over the random details of the day (We got up, and mommy made you oatmeal while you played with your truck, and then mommy changed your diaper, and Pee-ew, it was stinky!....). Might help him settle down enough for sleep. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It could be him testing his limits. My DD started testing her limits around 23 months. other then that is he waking up in the middle of the night and yelling for you? If so then he may be having bad dreams. I read a huge article in parents or parenting a few months back about toddlers and nightmares. Im sure you could do a search on there sites and read it yourself and see if something pops out for you and your son. GL momma it will get better. My DD has gotten better.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son is just one, but I know he's gone through all kinds of phases where he needed different things. There were definitely times when I realized he NEEDED to cry in order to sleep, and sometimes I could hold him through those times. More and more, though, as he gets older, there are times when I HAVE to walk away or he wont' sleep. We don't ahve bedtime battles, but lately this happens with night wakings. I never wanted to CIO, but I have become a believer in it. Once I back off and let him cry himself out a few times, everything starts going SO much better.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Do you have a bedtime routine which signals to him when it's almost bedtime?
    My tot was having the same problem. We have established a system where we go for a short brisk walk before bedtime. She runs most of the time, hence tiring herself out, but she knows once we get in, we shower and after 10 minutes we go to bed.
    We had to try something because out of now where she started putting up a fight at bedtime when she used to go to bed herself. So far, this seems to be working.
    Danaefm

Answer by Danaefm at 9:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We have a set routine...so i don't know whats up.
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010