do you still go to college even though you have kids?

should having kids stop you?

ruby_diamond43

Asked by ruby_diamond43 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• It depends. I think it's definitely possible and great for a woman to finish college even with kids, but be careful your kids don't feel second-rate. I had a friend who was in college and had 3 kids. I kinda' felt bad for them because they were on the back burner. It doesn't ahve to be that way, though.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• no.... it should not stop you. if your s/o doesn't have a job to support the household while you're in college, just go part time and work too. or take online classes if that would be helpful toward whatever program/degree you're doing.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• IMHO - if you can go and have your DH take care of them while you're at school, or go while they're going - I say go for it....otherwise, wait until they're older - kids are young for such a short period of time, why not enjoy it! School can happen anytime...
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 9:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, having kids should not stop you from going to school. I got my masters after having 2 kids while working full time.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Having kids should motivate a person to continue college because you are thinking about long term goals, financial stability and being more marketable. I completed my Masters when I had my daughter and I was pregnant. It was not hard at all. I went part time and my husband was my cheerleader, he was super awesome about supporting me during that time. It takes some serious time management and organization but it's do-able.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I go to school with two small children. I am a stay at home mom working to make my own business also, so I've got a lot on my plate, but I think with enough determination you can accomplish anything. It would be very difficult if I was working outside the home.. and I am very glad that I attend school online, because working school into my schedule is one of the hardest parts.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• As a single mom since before I even found out I was pregnant.. and the daughter of divorced parents and the fact that I only know 3 couples out of my ENTIRE 36 years of life to have been married "FOREVER"... I say... you owe it to yourself and your children to ensure that they will have the life they financially need and deserve whether that comes from your husband, yourself or both!!!
    On the other hand... 2 out of 3 couples I know that have been together FOREVER... both husband and wife are very educated (except for my grandmother who is well into her 80's and got married when she was 18... on her 14th date with my grandfather in 14 days).
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i'd like to go to college, but the thing is i want to put myself through college because my school of choice is a private 2 year college. $25,000 each year. too expensive to burden my family.

i went to beauty school, skin care was the wrong choice definately. It's been 3 years and i never found a job. I'm currently in an adult school course. Business Managment. Because of my situation I was eligible for a pell grant to cover my full tuition. $3600. Hopefully I can get a better job and start putting myself through college.

It's exhausting for me and hard for my daughter some days, but I know it'll pay off when I finish in a few months.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 12:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I am in college .. an online college .. I have two boys to deal with and a big kid too(hubby). It's hard but, it's managing
    Dariensmom1

Answer by Dariensmom1 at 5:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I finished school when my oldest was 2. My husband is finishing his degree this semester. It has been quite a challenge while we have 2 kids.... but well worth it!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 8:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2010