How many of you ask your SO's permission before doing things?

I don't mean things like planning a family vacation or anything... But I have been reading so many answers on here like "I want a tattoo but my DH won't let me" or "I want to go to dinner with friends but my DH doesn't approve of them" or "I was going to buy the kids new shoes but DH said no."

Seriously, I can't imagine asking to do stuff like that... Obviously if you want HIM to do something or want to do something that's going to affect him directly -or even affect his home (like redecorate) I would understand discussing it. But buying books or getting your ears pierced or cutting your hair? Umm... Really? He's my husband not my dad...

Am I just really mislead on what the word Partner means or did I miss some regression in the women's rights movement?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I do but its more to let him know my plans and stuff I like to make him feel important
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 9:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL Your question made me laugh, then reading further I continued to laugh. I would never ask permission to do any of those things either. I TELL him, I am doing this or that, or tell him....the kids need this, do we have the money or when will we? But to change the way I look or dress or something LOL Never would I let a man dictate myself.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i ask about things that cost money or sometimes buy it then tell him like shoes for the kids if we dont have any that fit, and low on money then i will ask b4 i buy cause i want to make sure we can make the house payment 1st b4 i buy new shoes, or i will ask a friend if they have any old shoes that size if we dont have the money
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i never really ask to do something. if i do something like you had said, i'll ask what he would think about it like get a tattoo or peircing. if i want to out with friends, he dont care, just as long as i have fun. same with him.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 9:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yeah, I'm not saying I don't let him know, or even ask his opinion from time to time, but I can't imagine asking permission like he was my dictator or something... Seriously, let him tell me what I can and can't do with my body and he'll be finding himself on the lawn real quick!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my husband cut off his goatee and i was majorly pissed. i would have appreciated him asking me how i felt about it beforehand, just like i ask him how he wants me to get my hair cut when i go. he is my husband and of course i'm trying to make myself more attractive to him in addition to boosting my self-esteem/confidence. as for the shoes or buying anything 'extra', i do run it by him if it's more than $20 because most people do have an allowance/budget for splurges and it's good to keep that in check. i don't see how that diminishes my 'womanhood' because i value my husband's opinion. the women's rights movement was about having rights equal to those of men. not ruling over them lol.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I get the kids what they need when they need it. i don't chill with anyone but my family. I do what i want when i want. I make my own money I pay all the bills and if I want to buy something or go out to dinner with the kids then i go. If he has a problem with it then he will get though it and over it, Sooner or later.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I tell my husband what I am going to do, but I do not ask his permission. I just would never be in a relationship where I was not an equal partner.

My mom has to ask my dad about everything and it is just sickening.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I ask and do whatever it was anyways that way he feels important.
    quila_sunrise

Answer by quila_sunrise at 9:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i certainly don't. in fact i make all the decisions and it kinda sucks at times. i usually just tell him i'm planning on doing this and ask what he thinks but i do it anyway. in fact i usually do the opposite of what he thinks i should do.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010